Chapter 26: Know The Enemy

Start from the beginning

As they moved, Cain noted Jericho's Goliath and wondered how it would hold up in this next battle. Like the man inside it was a grizzled, old machine, and it wore its scars proudly. It had never been repainted and was only buffed when absolutely necessary. Jericho inside was often clean-shaven so as to show off the various nicks and scars he boldly sported. Even his nose was permanently crooked from the countless times he had broken it but his grey eyes still held a fiery passion for battle, just like his Goliath could always perform regardless of how weathered it appeared.

Xiu was the polar opposite. His round, smooth face still held on to fragments of baby fat and his brown eyes were often buried underneath a mess of brown hair. His youth and fresh body reflected in a sparkling Goliath that was often coated with new layers of paint because the old was fading, not because it needed the touch up.

None of them knew what Alenichev looked like. He wore a full balaclava over his face at all times that only let one see his eyes but they too revealed nothing. Otherwise, nobody had seen him and nobody pressed him for looks.

Cain checked over all of his readings displaying along the cockpit. This would be a good mission, an easy one. And hopefully he would be back in time for dinner.

* * * * *

Porter was the last one to arrive to the emergency meeting that was called. Mr. Shotuku had broadcast over the school's intercom that everyone in the squad was immediately required to go to the teacher's staff room. Of course, Porter was late and was greeted with glares from everyone in the room, except for Riya who sat with Rick having a cup of tea. She always seemed willing to smile.

As Porter took his chair, Mr Shotuku took stance at the front of the room. The whole place was otherwise empty. The tables had been pushed to the sides so that the folding chairs could be set up in the middle of the room for everyone to collect on. Otherwise there was a sink to the right side, with a refrigerator and microwave beside it, and a little coffee machine where Riya and Rick had gotten their tea.

"We have three orders of business to discuss in this meeting, students. First, Ardwen will speak to you." Mr. Shotuku stepped aside and Ardwen indeed came to the front, thanking Shotuku for the introduction.

"I would like to inform all of you that we first off have our own special ranking system within the squad now, with me at the top as Master Sergeant Ardwen. For what happened in Easley, Porter is being made into a Lance Corporal, which puts him second in command." Ardwen saw Chase start to open his mouth and quickly silenced him. "Yes Chase, I don't really want to hear it. Nami is Private First Class as my personal assistant because of her wealth of knowledge. The rest of you are considered Privates, but that is all subject to change of course."

Rick raised his hand to speak. "What am I then?"

Everyone turned and stared at Rick as he took another sip of tea. Ardwen answered for the group: "Wait, why are you even here? You're not a student of the school!"

Mr. Shotuku stood up upon hearing this to make yet another announcement. "Ah yes, I forgot. Rick is officially enrolled here as a teacher's aide, mine to be exact, and will be serving as mine and Riya's bodyguard from now on, for when we go down to battles and are not in Goliaths of course."

Ardwen and the rest of the group rolled their eyes and let the speaking continue from the new Master Sergeant. "Right well it occurred to me that we have these ranks and all but we don't have any name for the whole squad. I think we should be called something cool and intimidating for when we get summoned."

There was mild chatter in agreement from everyone else. "What about the Super Goliath Squad?" Nami suggested.

"I like Chase's Unstoppably Awesome Team Chase." Everyone looked over at Chase, who had chosen to sit in the middle of the chairs. "What?"