Chapter 1

Tasuku sighed, rising out of the bed. He checked the time on his clock. 4.30am. He might as well just get ready for school early.

   "Tasuku, are you okay? Why are you awake at this hour?" Tasuku turned around to see the miniform of his buddy , Jacknife dragon.

   "It's nothing, I'm fine." Tasuku smiled sadly. Jack immediately sensed that something was off but did not press Tasuku for any details, something that Tasuku was grateful for .

   He groaned and rolled out of the bed. He quickly brushed his teeth and prepared for school. He swore, he was sick and tired of waking up to the same nightmare every morning.

   At least it was morning. It would be even worse at night. At night, his thoughts would just keep nagging him over and over again whispering to him "You could have done something to save her." until he stuffed a pillow to his face and silenced those thoughts.

   Sometimes he wondered if his brain had anything better to do than nagging him like his mother on Gaito. No one else other than him seemed to have this problem, so why couldn't he just move on already?

    He arrived at the school entrance, he had already given up the hope that she would be there, waiting for him.

   He saw Gao and took a deep breath, setting up his fake smile. "Hey! Tasuku! Over here!" the redhead hollered.

   Almost every neck in the campus snapped towards Tasuku. "Oh no..." Gao muttered, Tasuku sighed.

3...

2...

1...

   "HEY! THAT'S TASUKU RYUENJI, THE BOY WONDER COP!"

   A stampede of people immediately rushed towards him. Fangirls cooed over him while others begged for his autograph.

   He smiled and pretended to be approachable and friendly, trying to mask his frustration. Couldn't they tell that he had no need of them?

   They coo over him, singing praises of him. But in the end, they only see the boy wonder cop, not Tasuku. They desire to be his friends for the popularity that followed.

They could never take her place.

   An image of her smiling face, holding his hand flashed before him. He could cry right there but he had an image to keep.

   "Oui, Tasuku! Here!" a familiar voice called. Shinetsu, newest addition to the group, was waving to him. He was about to respond until he saw the purplette trailing behind.

   Tasuku rubbed his eyes, unable to believe what he saw the. It was Gaito! He ran forward, arms outstretched. The question that left her mouth soon stopped him in his tracks.

"Who are you?"