2•strength in abundance

Chapter Two: Strength In Abundance
song: feelin' alright • joe cocker

Chapter Two: Strength In Abundance song: feelin' alright • joe cocker

Vietnam, Saigon • District - Quâng Nâm
Home • 11:34pm
1973

"Call me crazy, but I think we just signed our lives away" Sophia Dawson stated as she walked home with James Conrad's arm across her shoulder 'platonically'.

He had slung it over about 5 minutes ago and Sophia was far too tipsy and unashamed to shrug it off. Conrad wasn't as drunk as her though - he could always handle his liquor better than her. Conrad nodded his head into the chilly, noise buzzing air. Even late at night, Saigon was alive with people working, talking, laughing and fighting.

It was one of the reasons the pair had chosen to settle down there. Silence was deafening when you've spent most of your life in a war zone. "Well, even so, at least we get to visit an island untouched by man"
"Yeah, untouched by man, but touched by what?" Sophia drawled.

Conrad had originally wrapped his arm around her so she would stay upright, but now he kind of liked the feeling of her smooth, hot skin beneath his touch, so he had decided that he'd keep it there - even if she was perfectly capable of walking by herself.

"That is a very good question, sunflower"

Sophia tried not to drunkenly blush but failed miserably. "I don't trust this Con" she spoke, leaning into him to move out of the way for the passer by. She stayed there. Conrad pursed his lips and palmed his forehead "We don't have to trust it, just do the job and get out"
"Yeah, hopefully still with our heads"

"Dawson, you're thinking far too much into this" Sophia looked up at Conrad with a small frown. He turned to her, his eyes alive with an unknown emotion swimming in the ice blue and he frowned at her frown. "You okay Conrad? You seem to be losing your touch"
"How so?"
"Well usually you'd question everything, but this time you seem...indifferent"

Conrad licked his bottom lip and tried to hide his slight annoyance at himself, Sophia was right - he seemed far too calm. "It's just the drink talking, you watch, tomorrow I'll be trying to find ways out of this situation"

His grin brightened up Sophia's worried face. "Like..." Conrad thought about it, Sophia still neatly placed under his arm. "...taking the money and running"

Sophia looked up at the sky with a grin as she licked her lips. "But if we go, we get to visit an island untouched by man" she laughed - using his own words against him and he shook her in the nightlight. The pair laughed "Alright smarty pants, it looks like you've had too much to drink as well"