Part 8

"Initiates. For the past two weeks you have been pushed and made in to the dauntless soldiers that you are meant to be. Unfortunately we must say goodbye to two of you tonight. Here are your rankings." Max clicks a button on his remote which reveals a list. There is one for dauntless borns and one for transfers.

1.Ari
2.Rita
3.Rea
4.Jacob
5.Ashton
6.James
7.Shawn
8,Li-Anne

Li-Anne was out. I wasn't the closest to her but she doesn't deserve to be kicked out of her home. Before we can all go over to support her she gets up and runs out of the hall. We all share a glance and chase after her.

We weren't fast enough. As we all turned around the corner we saw a body jump over the chasm.

The pit went in to panic. People were rushing to get ropes, others were going to inform the leaders. But all of us had a different reaction. We had just lost a friend. Someone that we had known for years. Ashton fell to the floor. They were the closest. He was bawling his eyes out, screaming her name wanting her back. Shawn and Rita had tears streaming down their eyes yet they were still next to Ashton, soothingly rubbing his back. Rea was having a panic attack so James and Jacob were trying to calm her down. And me. I was in a state of shock. I couldn't move, couldn't speak, I couldn't do anything but watch. Watch as my friends body was hauled out of the chasm. Watch as her parents had to identify her and as her little brother tried to wake her up.

She isn't waking up. She would sleep until her body is burned over the dauntless coals and is set free. And we would mourn this day.

-----------

The next stage of initiation. Nobody knows what it is. We're currently in a room with the transfers. Instead of us dauntless borns being all hyper and chatty. We were dead silent. Inwardly mourning the death of our friend.

"Rita." She gets up and leaves. The soundproof walls block everything out and the small glass on the wall is too high up to see. Around 20 minutes later four walks out and calls another initiate in. This goes on for ages until there is only me and a transfer. We are just sitting there staring in to space. She looks like she's going to crack even if o talk to her.

"Amy." Four says whilst opens the door. She nervously gets up and shuffles towards the door when she is completely in four gives me a small nod then shuts the door and locks it. I'm by myself and I'm that bored that I fall asleep.

I'm awoken by four gently shaking my shoulder. I stretch and get up.

"How long was I out."

"40 minutes. Her time was really long. But it's your shot now." He explains. He offers his hand and I gladly take it. He gently helps me up and I make my way in to the room.

Before me lies a chair just like the one that was in my aptitude test.

"Take a seat." Four motions forward. I walk up and take a seat, leaning back.

"So four. Tell me what's gonna happen."

""You are going to be facing your fear." He tells me whilst putting these sticky things on my temples. "Basically it's an advanced version of the aptitude serum that adapts and makes your fears visual. You go through them and the only way to get over it is to either calm your heart rate or pass the fear by facing."

"Sounds simple."

"And I'll be watching."

"I don't feel comfortable with that." I stutter.

"Well you have to deal with it. I'm only monitoring it and I'm only allowed to discuss it with other instructors or leaders only if it is regarding your process but it will mainly be the time. Not the fear."

"Okay that I can deal with."

He then brings out a needle with the serum in it. Suddenly my breathing becomes harsh even just looking at it. I start to back away that much that I'm hanging off the chair. When four turns around and looks at me his features soften.

"You're scared of needles?" He asks.

"Petrified." I quickly answer.

He puts down the serum and looks at me. "Alright I'm going to ask you this and answer truthfully. Are you going to let me give you the serum without any hassle."

"Probably not. "

"Give me a minute." He puts the serum down and walks out. I stare at the serum for probably 10 minutes. But then four walks in with Eric. I draw my eyes away from the needle and back to four.

"What's your plan cause I'm not letting that anywhere near me." I state.

"That's what I'm here for." Eric says. I don't turn away from the needle because I know what they were trying to do.

"I know I'm not erudite but I know a distraction when I hear one. Where you expecting me to turn around and then put the needle in me."

"Pretty much. But we have a back up plan." Four says.

All of a sudden I feel weight on my legs and look to see Eric sitting on me so I won't run. Doesn't mean I can't punch. I reel back and bring my fist up and punch Erics jaw. That distracts him so I try to kick him off but instead four holds me back. I feel the weight lift off my legs but is soon replaced again but it's slightly lighter. I try my hardest to kick and get out of fours grasp whilst shaking my head vigorously. Eric roughly grabs my face and holds pushes it against the headrest. He then brings the needle closer and jabs it in to my neck. I let out an almighty scream that makes Eric quickly push down the plunger then cover his ears. He slams the needle down on the table and walks out.

"Not that bad." Four tries to persuade me.

"It was terrible" I exclaim.

"Anyway. You're about to enter your fear landscape. Try to keep calm and get over the fear."

That's the last thing I remember before it all goes black.