Chapter 5-Wake Up

The Doctor watched Clara as she slept in the Med Bay, listening to the sound of her breathing into the oxygen mask strapped to her face and the steady thrum of the machinery that was keeping her alive. Every so often her breath would hitch or the beeping of the heart monitor would falter and the Doctor would leap up, book falling to the floor, and rush to her aid only to discover that it was a false alarm. He would return to his seat, but only after he had double checked the readings from the various equipment scattered across the room and made sure that Clara was as comfortable as possible; re-tucking the duvet under her chin and refreshing the wet cloth on her forehead in an attempt to bring down her burning temperature. She had been through a lot that day, and the Doctor wanted her to rest for as long as possible to give her body ample time to heal and rejuvenate itself, to fight the illness that she had come down with. Because that was all it was, the Doctor told himself. A minor illness that, with lots of love and care, Clara would soon get over. Nothing to worry about. A few days on bed rest and she'd be right as rain in no time, and then they'd get back to travelling the universe. There were still civilisations to save and countless stars for him to show her. A hundred and one places left to see.

The Doctor sighed, reaching out a hand to run his fingers through Clara's hair, an action he wouldn't have dared to do if she was conscious for fear of being mercilessly teased.

"You can do it Clara." He mumbled. "Fight it for me. Come on. Please."

Clara groaned and shifted in her sleep, face subconsciously nuzzling into the Doctor's touch. He froze, hardly daring to breathe. Was she waking up?

The Doctor stared at her intently but when nothing happened he removed his hand from her silky hair and placed his face in them instead, letting out a long, shaky breath that he hadn't known he was holding. It wasn't in his nature for him to sit around so long, not even for Clara, and it was making him jumpy. He needed to get out, go somewhere, do something. He felt so helpless. He wanted to help Clara, but how?

He sat there, consumed by his own thoughts. She looked so peaceful; chestnut hair splayed out on the pillows under her head, nose wrinkling at something in her sleep. He smiled down at her. He never saw Clara as vulnerable as when she was sleeping. A sudden urge to protect her coursed through him. He would do anything, anything, to cure her, to stop her from ageing, to capture who she is at this moment and have her stay like it forever, his Impossible Girl. But she was only human, and like all humans will one day whither and die and he would be alone again, wandering in a universe that would hold no joy for him, no meaning, only serving as a reminder to all that he had lost.

He hadn't lost Clara yet, though. Not if he could help it.

Struck by an idea the Doctor removed his hand from where it was stroking Clara's cheek and rummaged through his pockets, unearthing a roll of sellotape, a ball of string, a banana and a barbie doll before triumphantly pulling out a notebook and a pen. He hastily scribbled a note to Clara explaining where he was going and not to worry, ripping it out and sellotaping it to the side of the dish that held the souffle he had made for her earlier as a surprise for her when she woke up.

"I'll be back." He promised her, stuffing the various contraband back into his jacket. He took one last look at her sleeping form before quietly leaving the room, locking the door behind him. He didn't want to come back to an empty Med Bay and an angry Clara lost in the TARDIS.

The Doctor jogged to the console room, leaping up the steps two at a time to where he could flick on the view screen and use the security camera in the Med Bay to keep an eye on Clara. The lighting in the console room was down low as any unimportant systems had been turned off to re-route more power to the life support system that was keeping Clara alive. Not that she really needed it, the Doctor was just being cautious. When it came to Clara he would take no chances.

Reassured by the live feed of Clara the Doctor sent the TARDIS spinning into flight, his long fingers nimbly navigating the many switches, dials and levers that coated the surfaces. He flew the TARDIS a little slower than usual so as not to disturb Clara. Although he was looking forward to her waking he wanted it to be because her body and mind had healed properly, not because the TARDIS had flung her out of bed. That, and he wanted to be there when she woke up. For medical purposes only, of course. Only now his brain was giving him images of Clara when she woke up in the mornings, with the bed hair that she hated but he secretly loved, the sleepy little smile and the adorable look that she'd give him before she realised she was doing it.

Not to mention the tiny pajamas she liked to wear.

The Doctor mentally and physically slapped himself. Stop thinking about Clara like that, he scolded himself. She doesn't think of you like that. Why would she?

The Doctor landed the TARDIS, trying to shove those thoughts of Clara aside, but the memory of her leaning in to kiss him seemed be imprinted across his vision. If she didn't love him, then why had she looked so happy when she moved towards him? The Doctor had an excellent memory, and he doubted that that one was ever going to be erased. The way her heart had thumped as she pressed it against his own, her chocolate eyes that he loved so much shut, her full red lips parted-

The TARDIS let off an unnecessarily loud hum, jolting the Doctor out of his thoughts and promptly tripping over his feet on surprise, bashing a leg against the edge of the console.

"Ow ow ow ow ow ow ow!" He moaned rubbing his shin. "What was that for?"

The TARDIS stared down at him. The Doctor could almost feel the disapproval burning holes in his head. He had forgotten that the TARDIS was telepathic.

"Yeah, yeah, I know old girl. Rule number one-Don't fall in love. Bit too late now though, eh? She's got me."

The TARDIS made a noise half between amusement and exasperation.

"Sorry, Sexy." He leaned against the console, watching Clara's breath mist in her mask. "I thought you liked her?"

The TARDIS hummed in agreement. Ever since Trenzalore the Type 40 had had a new-found respect for his companion and the two, after a shaky start, had become firm friends much to the Doctor's delight. Clara could even click her fingers to make the doors open and shut, something none of his companions, not even River, could achieve.

The Doctor smiled and patted the time rotors. "You take care of her while I'm gone Sexy. No tricks." He warned. Despite their friendship, the TARDIS still liked to wind her up every so often. Clara was just as bad though, messing with the decor and deliberately shaking her umbrella everywhere. It had become a sort of game to them, that the TARDIS usually won.

The TARDIS's humming went up a pitch.

"Thanks old girl."

The Doctor turned to leave but was stopped by a pricking sensation at the nape of his neck.

"What? What is it?"

A test tube slid out of the panel on the far side of the console. The Doctor reached over and plucked it out of the socket, weighing it in his hand before tucking it safely away in the depths of his coat. He stroked the console fondly.

"What would I do without you, eh?"

With that the Doctor turned on his heel and left, pausing at the doors for one last fleeting look at Clara before stepping out into the unknown.

A/N
Sorry I didn't update yesterday, it was my birthday and I went to see Frozen (amazing film) and go shopping and by the time I got back it was way too late to update. Sorry.
Anyways, this chapter I will leave you with two questions to answer/debate in the comments:
1-What is in the Test Tube?
2-What is wrong with Clara?
The next update will probably be on friday as I have lots of coursework to catch up on that I really should have done a week ago. I may get it up before then...but...probably not.
Please vote/comment!
-Jazz