09⊙ Basilisk

NINE

basilisk

A Serpent of Death

Hermione shivered as she clutched her thick blanket around her tighter.

"You should go back," suggested Theo from where he sat, on the cold wooden floors of their secret base, the Shrieking Shack.

She vigorously shook her head. "I told you," she told him sternly. "You'll never have to be alone on these nights anymore."

Theo gave her a light laugh. "Draco's going to come anytime soon."

"Still, I promised myself that I'll be with you every time."

Theo looked at her. She had on her sleeping attires, and a single blanket. "For as smart as you are, you're a bit-"

"Don't you continue, Theodore Nott," she cut in quickly. "I've got it all planned."

"Do you?" Theo asked skeptically.

"Yes," she proudly nodded. "You make a fine warmer when you transform."

Theo rolled his eyes. "Glad to be of service."

She smiled at him. "Just wait until we try the Animagus potion. I've been dying to test it out!" In her pouch set next to her held two phials containing the magical potion that had been completed a few days ago. She hoped the potion they had put so much effort into would work tonight.

Theo looked down at his hands, deep in thought. "What do you think you'll be," he began after a few minutes of comfortable silence. "You know, when you transform."

Hermione dipped her head to the side. "I don't know," she replied. "Professor McGonagall took after her favourite animal, so I might be a cat, just like her."

"I still can't believe you let her know about our plans."

"You really think she wouldn't have noticed?" Hermione chuckled. "She would have known, even without me informing her."

Theo sighed.

"For the umpteenth time, don't worry." She teasingly nudged Theo, who only slouched back into his sitting position. "She told me herself she secretly helped her previous students to become Animagi, unregistered ones at that."

His eyes immediately sparkled at the new information. "Really?"

Hermione nodded in confirmation.

"Who would've thought?" Theo gave her a wide grin. "And she's a Gryffindor!"

She rolled her eyes. She had long given up trying to fix her friend's stereotypes about the four houses of Hogwarts. It seemed in the magical world, having them was as natural as knowing the colour of Dumbledore's beard.

"To think you were almost named Gryffindor," Theo spoke again, giving her a mischievous smile.

"What do you mean?" Hermione snorted. "I'm Slytherin, yes, but I think I have the good qualities of Gryffindor, too."

"You tried to trick innocent elves into unwanted freedom," Theo deadpanned. "With hats, what's more."

"It-" she opened her mouth to protest, but she knew it was true. "Still, I did it for justice."

Theo laughed, the seeping moonlight reflecting the mirth in his eyes. "You're a total Slytherin, MaiMai."

"Yes, yes," she rolled her eyes again, playfully letting out a huge sigh. "Malfoy better come soon, you're having too much fun teasing me."