Still, Eira refused to think that becoming one of the elite was a good thing for her, or her family. But she was going to make lots of money once she had joined whatever job after the training. She could send her family some and prevent them from ever needing to work so punishingly. She hadn't even thought of that. She'd been so wrapped up in her selfish reasons, she hadn't realised what good it could mean for everyone else. She was a fool. A selfish fool.

Gritting her teeth, she forced herself to stop thinking. It was making everything worse. She needed to focus on the moment and not get lost in a daydream.

She shifted her eyes to her surroundings and froze stalk still. She wasn't sure if it was in awe of what she saw, or just sheer intimidation—but she couldn't tear her eyes away.

The castle in front of her was massive. Its towers and turrets extended so far up she had to squint to see their tops. Its whitewashed sides were covered in the same intricate carving that embellished the carriage.

They were standing right by the entrance to the vast courtyard that lay in the centre of the castle. It was completely void of people even though it was sometime around five o'clock on a Sunday. Eira thought the Permafrosts may still be training and were in classes or were eating an evening meal. Had any others her age passed the test that day? Would she be completely alone while she trained? She wasn't sure what the rates were — just how many children bore the Frost each year.

She was still completely ignorant of what the training was like, and how they learned to use their powers. She didn't like being thrust into an environment where she knew nothing of what would happen. Uncertainty of the future terrified her more than anything else.

The driver ushered her through the entrance way and into the courtyard. Eira still couldn't get over how grand it was, and that was even amplified by being in the courtyard. Straight ahead, towards the north was a huge ornate door. Its pale wood was carved with scenes of what looked like ancient battles and those swirling patterns. They were even encrusted with gemstones—  moonstone, quartz, sapphire and what looked to be the same stone that she had been given during the test: Icestone — the natural amplifier of the Frost.

But the driver didn't lead Eira towards that door. Instead, he took her over to a smaller, however nonetheless grand, door on the eastern side of the courtyard.

Behind the door, a tall girl of what looked like fifteen or sixteen stood. Her snowy white hair was loose and she bore an friendly expression. "I'll take her from here, thank you, Martin."

She was obviously one of the Frost, but she didn't act aggressive or condescendingly or show contempt towards the driver. It confused Eira. Didn't all of the Permafrosts think they were above everyone else? Maybe she had been mistaken; perhaps all of them weren't like that.

"Hello! You're Eira, right? The girl who just got Tested." The girl's tone was gentle and in no way intimidating, but Eira still had to gather up the confidence to speak to her. She had always been terribly nervous of strangers.

"Yes," she replied meekly, eyes trained on the stone floor.

"Great! I'm Gwen and I'm going show you around here until you get used to the layout."

"Nice to meet you." Eira tried to give a smile, but she wasn't sure if she managed.

"You too." Gwen returned the smile. "This way." She led her into the wide hallway that lay beyond the door.