"Hi." I said breathlessly, slipping out of my jacket. Marie glanced at me, seemingly in a rush. She was nice enough, I suppose. Marie and my father had met a few years after my mother passed from an aneurysm. She was a bit air-headed at times and annoying, but she made my father happy so I kept my mouth shut. Marie was very formal and old-fashioned, and busy like a bee. She seemed to always be occupied with something. 

"Good afternoon, Genevieve." she said, slipping into her jacket. I stood at the foot of the stairs, watching as Marie rushed out the door. To be completely honest, I did not know what my father saw in her. They were happy together, granted, but it wasn't the same as it had been with my mother and him.

I climbed the rest of the stairs, deciding to catch up on some Doctor Who. I had only a few more episodes left to watch, and I was dreading the day when the 11th Doctor would regenerate. I logged into VideoWeed and downloaded (not illegally, I promise) an episode.

Letting it load, I changed into some pajamas even though it was about 5 in the afternoon. My bookbag full of homework stared at me accusingly from the bed, but I tried hard not to look at it. I would do my homework...later.

Procrastination was my friend.

The front door slammed from down the stairs. I was already instantly absorbed in the episode when my father knocked on the bedroom door. I hit pause and swiveled around in my computer chair, turning to face him.

My father was like any other father. He had brown eyes and a diehard addiction to coffee. He took care of me after my mother died, all by himself until Marie came into his life. He had age lines on his handsome face. Even with all my teenage rebellions, he managed to stay the sweet, caring man I knew and loved.

"Hey, Genevieve." Dad called, leaning against the door frame.

"Hi."

"How was school?"

"Good." I said, my fingers inching towards the mouse.

"Good." he replied, looking around the room. "So did you see our new neighbors? Or should I say, neighbor?" he emphasized the singular noun. That caught my attention.

"Wait, what do you mean?" I asked curiously. "Why not plural? Is there only one person who moved into that house?"

"Yep." he answered, popping the 'p.' 

"Cool." I said. "Who is it then, Dad? Did you meet him slash her yet? Are they nice? Oh, do they have a dog? Please don't tell me they have a dog. Dad, you know I'm allergic. Oh my God. Oh my God, he or she does, doesn't he or she?" I panicked, rambling off even before he had a chance to respond.

"Genevieve!" Dad laughed at my twisted expression. "Calm down. He does not have any animals, from what Marie told me. He's a man, he's perfectly nice, and he's about your age. Although he does have to be over 18 because he lives alone. I didn't catch his name, though. Actually, I came here to talk to you about something. We need to talk about Marie." Dad said.

I stifled a groan, spinning wildly around in the chair. Seriously, swivel chairs are amazing.

"Genevieve, just listen." he said impatiently. "I have to head out to John's so I'll make this quick. Remember last week how I asked you to spend some time with Marie?"

I nodded.

"Anyways, she told me you guys didn't. Gen, you're not even making an effort to get to know how amazing Marie is. I need you to do this. Marie is perfectly willing to hang out with you, honey. You better make an effort soon. Just one hour of girl time or whatever pointless thing you women do wouldn't hurt, right?"

"Dad, I honestly do try!" I defended myself hotly. "Marie always seems busy. Like, all the time. That's not even an exaggeration, her weekends are workends. And us women do not do pointless things. We do freshly-sharpened pencil pointy things. "

"I understand, she's a busy woman. But I'm sure she'll make some time if you just ask."

"Ugh."

"I'm not going to talk about this anymore." he said sternly. I pressed my lips together in annoyance, staring at the ground. My father glanced at his watch. "I'm already late. Sweetheart, listen. Marie and I are heading out to John's for dinner and a game. Please, behave, okay? No boys, no parties, and no drinking. I'm serious."

"Okay."

"Good. See you later."

"Mm-hmm."

He left, shutting the door behind him. A minute later, I heard the front door slam, and then the rumble of a car outside my window. I waited until total silence fell over the house before turning my attention back to the ridiculously handsome Doctor.