An attic of treasures and mysteries

Alison did another button and shoved her hands deep into her pockets. The autumn was going through a cold spell; the wind was biting into her skin and whipping her hair around her face. But nothing cut into her skin as sharply as the slim black card that had been left discarded in her pocket. Although it wasn't discarded, Alison had known that it was there. Every time she put on her coat for the last week she had been reminded that that little black card was sitting there, even though she hadn't once pulled it out it was still a betrayal. Although she didn't really know what it would mean if she gave the mysterious Mr Grey a call she knew it would be a betrayal.

Her head bent low against the battling wind Ali rushed across the car park towards the shopping centre. Ruffling her hair to try and tame and master the windswept look she walked briskly towards the coffee shop, smiling the moment she saw Max seated in the corner with two steaming mugs in front of him. It was just going to be the two of them, having coffee and talking. The rest of the family were going out and Max had been the one to volunteer to stay behind with Alison. As much as it annoyed her that they thought she still needed babysitting she was pleased it was Max staying with her.

Kirsty’s mum had dropped her off at the shopping centre; the two girls had been in school doing a project for English together which was why Max was already here. He was dressed in jeans which meant he had gone home after school and then come back out. Ali felt out of place in her uniform now as she headed towards the table in the far corner. But as she crossed the shop floor something caught her eye and she stopped. Turning her head slowly she glanced out of the window, standing at the corner was a man dressed completely in black: Mr Grey. He was staring straight at Alison, seeing her looking at him he smiled and nodded his head in her direction before turning and disappearing into the crowd.

It had been just for a moment and it had seemed so surreal but he had definitely been there. He had been watching her, keeping an eye on her. Just like he said that he would. Once again Alison ran her finger along the sharp edge of the card and was reminded of the threat he seemed to think that she was under. She took a breath and pulled her hand out of her pocket. She said she was never going to contemplate his offer as she knew her family had never done anything to hurt her and they never would.

Alison went to head back towards Max who had had his back to her, although he probably would have heard or smelt her come in. But now he wasn’t alone. Sitting across from him, in the seat that was meant to be for Alison was the stunning brunette with the smile of an angel and the heart of the devil. Maisie had one hand lying on top of Max’s and was running a finger of the other around the rim of the coffee mug. Alison’s coffee mug!

She couldn’t see Max’s face from this angle and had no idea how he was responding to having Maisie fawning all over him. But Alison was not happy, something spiteful spiked within her chest, it might have been jealousy but it was mixed with annoyance at little miss popular interfering again and so Alison didn’t recognise the other emotion. She just wanted Maisie out of her seat and away from her cousin.

She walked briskly over to the table, and put on a fake smile. “Hey Max, I didn’t realise we were having company,” She said too cheerfully. Max pulled his hand back from Maisie’s like he’d been burnt as he turned to look up at Alison. He smiled as soon as their eyes connected.

“Maisie just wanted to chat, but she’s leaving now because I know she wouldn’t want to be rude and encroach on our time together… isn’t that right Maisie?” He turned to face the pretty girl and smiled. A look of hurt crossed her face followed by disgust before it was masked with her usual pleasantly fake smile. She pushed back from the table with a screech.

As she passed Alison she lent over and whispered into her ear, “You know, the way you act so jealous people might get the wrong idea,” her voice was more of a sneer and Alison recoiled from her in disgust. “I’ll see you around sweetie,” she chimed as she bounced out of the coffee shop, hips and hair swaying in unison.