Chapter 2: Violet

Only a few weeks away from my birthday, and I'm so excited. I'll be turning 17, and hopefully I'll be out into the world. Father said he'll be here to celebrate with me, and Professor Snape said that he'll bring me a treat (I hope it's a new lesson in the Dark Arts). I wonder what it must be like to go to wizarding school. Oh how those students were so lucky!

I asked Father how it was at this school, Hogwarts, the one that Professor Snape taught at. He would always say, "Don't think about it, I have the best to homeschool you, my dear."

Indeed, I did have the best teacher in the Dark Arts and a potions scholar, Professor Snape.

His hair jet black, eyes a little more than a slit, and all he would ever wear were black cloaks. Despite Professor Snape's greasy hair, and dark sense of fashion, he cared for me. He's ever so kind whenever he comes by. He sort of fills in a fatherly role, when Father goes away. On those days, Professor Snape apparates into the lounge area, and Father enters his chambers and disapparates from there.

He never reveals to me where he goes, and what he does. Even though I would like to know.

All I know is that Father never wants me to leave the house, or even be home alone. He says my safety is important, and that nothing should ever harm me. He fears that someone might take his precious daughter away from him, and he wouldn't be able to bear the separation.

But I never quite understood why I wasn't allowed out of the house? Or why I wasn't allowed to go to this wizarding school, Hogwarts? One time I demanded his reasoning for me to be locked up in the house, and why was I not with the other young witches and wizards of the world. Father hissed and scowled, his tiny eyes turned red, and he sent me to my room with a ferocious, "Out!" From that day on, I knew that was the end of the Hogwarts discussion.

Oh, my. I've been rambling all about my dear Father, and I totally forgot to introduce myself. How rude of me!

My name is Violet.

Violet Potter.