44. "The Coming Out Show"

Niall POV

I don’t even have chance to process what Harry has said before he’s out the door.

He was going to ask me to marry him? Me!?

“C’mon Niall, he can’t be serious.” Louis laughs.

“Don’t” I spin on my heel and glare at my brother, finger outstretched in his direction, “I’m sick of your attitude.” I spit.

When I look around the café I see everyone looking our way and at least a few teenagers with their phones out, recording everything.

I glance back to the door helplessly, knowing that the secret is out and there is nothing I can do about it.

I grab my coat and tear the ring box from Louis’ hand, ignoring Alfie’s apologies as I pick up the bouquet and sprint out of the coffee shop.

“HARRY!” I scream, running after his retreating back down the street.

I see his quicken his pace as he turns a corner, whilst I’m still struggling to keep up.

“Harry, please!” I screech, tears falling down my eyes.

“No! Niall! No, you don’t get to explain, it doesn’t work like that.” Harry turns to shout over his shoulder, leaning against the wall before collapsing down into a seated position with his head in his hands and large sobs racking his body.

Thankfully, the street he turned onto is relatively empty, although a few passers-by shoot Harry confused glances.

I fall down beside him and drop the flowers and my coat to the floor beside me.

“Please, Harry.” I whisper, reaching up and taking his hand.

“How could you do that to me Niall?” He sobs, looking into my eyes so heart brokenly that I can’t help but let out a little whimper.

“I didn’t do anything, baby.” I laugh gently, reaching my fingers up to wipe at the moisture on his cheeks.

“But I saw you!” He protests weakly. “You were there, with him and he was kissing you and that should have been me. I should have been the one kissing you because you are my Niall.” Harry blurts possessively.

“Louis insisted on meeting Carter, I couldn’t get out of it. And then Liam and Zayn suggested Alfie to step in and pretend to be him. I didn’t want to tell you because I didn’t want to hurt you.” I tell him, rushing to get my words out.

“Don’t lie to me.” He pleads, looking to me hopefully.

“Harry, I would never lie about something like that. I love you too much to hurt you. Please trust me on this.” I whisper, cupping his face in my hands as he attempts to look away.

“Do you promise me?” He asks, completely seriously.

“Of course darling, of course.” I reassure him.

“I still don’t understand why you didn’t tell me.” He continues, sniffing loudly and succeeding in pulling his eyes from mine.

“I don’t even know anymore.” I laugh a little, despite the current situation.

“You don’t know a lot do you love?” He laughs a little, a flash of a smile ghosting his features.

“I know, I should’ve told you. I’m such an idiot for not telling you.” I mutter the last part, annoyed that I caused Harry pain, the exact thing I was trying to avoid.