“Mom?”

I froze in place as she stood up and walked over to me, wrapping her arms around me.

“Oh, I’ve missed you, Ariella,” My mother cried.

“Why haven’t you called?” I asked. I was surprised at how cold my voice sounded.

“I didn’t want Steve to know where you were, sweetheart...” She sounded like she was keeping something from me.

“What’s going on?” I asked.

“I don’t want to scare you… I don’t know if I should tell you,” She said.

“Tell me,” I demanded.

“Ariella, Steve was furious when you left. He kept asking why and I had to make up stupid excuses. He started to get physical with me for not telling him where you went, and it was frightening…” My mother said.

“So now you had a little taste of what I had to deal with for seven years! Why did you even marry him anyways?!” I screamed.

“He made me feel happy!” My mother shrieked.

“Did it make you happy to see him ruthlessly hitting me for all of those years? Did it just make your day to see me almost to the point of death?!” I yelled.

“Ariella, please listen to me…” My mother begged.

“What?” I seethed.

“Steve… He’s coming here to find you,” She said.

At that moment, it seemed as if the room was swirling in different directions. I fell to my knees and just stared at the wall. I just started laughing.

“So he’s coming to finish what he started?” I asked.

“Ariella, you have to keep this on the down low. Don’t let your picture be taken and make sure your name doesn’t get out so Steve doesn’t find you,” She said.

I only nodded my head in response. Immediately my thoughts drifted to Niall. What was I supposed to tell him? That he couldn’t go on the tour because his girlfriend’s psycho step-father was after her? No, I couldn’t ruin his tour for him. I decided that I would keep my mouth shut.

Little did I know, that was going to be my biggest mistake…

The Next Day…

I fell asleep last night without replying to anyone’s phone calls. I looked and saw that there were five missed calls from Niall. I pressed the call button on my phone to apologize to him.

“Hello?” He asked.

“Hey Niall,” I said.