Chapter Eight - I'm scared -

I felt numb, but that is nothing different. I felt myself on the thin line of consciousness and unconsciousness. Like the feeling of being too sleepy to stay awake and too awake to go to sleep. I didn't have the energy to move, not even to open my eye lids. But I heard several heartbeats around me. One beating faster than all the others. 

"She isn't a threat, dad!" I recognize that voice: Angelo. He was clearly angry and irritated. He sounded like he was in another room. 

"Her existence is a threat! Son, you know how vampires are." If I could growl like a werewolf, I would have. My existence being a threat? A threat to what?!

"Shes my mate!" Angelo yelled. "Whether shes a vampire or not, it shouldn't get in the way of the fact that we were destined to be together. And I wouldn't let anyone, not even my own father, get in the way of us." For the first time ever, I have felt warmth in my chest. And he wasn't even touching me. He wasn't even in the room. His words made me feel something unfamiliar, something undefined. The warmth was welcoming. The sound of a door slamming shut, almost made me flinch. My hearing senses are heightening. Since I couldn't see or feel, all my focus were on my hearing. 

"When is she going to wake up, doc?" I heard Angelo ask as I heard foot steps getting closer. 

"I have no idea. You know I've never treated vampires ever in my life. Maybe in an hour or so. I gave her too much articaine, thinking her body was going to reject or burn off the numbing drug." A feminine voice answered.

"Oh. Well when she wakes, mind link me. I'll be having a word with Lucas in my office." Lucas. Oh he better watch his back. 

~

When I finally could open my eyes, sunlight almost blinded me. I groaned. 

"Oh! You're finally awake!" The feminine voice from before spoke. A honey blonde, grey eyed, lady came into view. She was in her forties with a nice, kind smile. "How are you feeling?" She asked. I was going to say I was fine, until I felt the pain in my back as I tried to sit up. She noticed. "Oh! Be careful. Now that you're awake, you should be healing soon." She told me. I looked around. The room I was in was pretty spacious. It was probably a guestroom, seeing as I was laying on a queen bed and right across from me was a dresser.

I looked up at the lady, noticing she was standing near the other side of the room. I rolled my eyes. She probably thought I was going to hurt her. Why must werewolves assume the worst? "I'm not going to hurt you, if that's what your thinking." I told her as I slowly began to position myself in a sitting position.

She frowned as she slowly made her way up to me. "Uh. Sorry. I'm Eida, the pack doctor." Pack doctor? Does that mean I'm at the pack house? "Angelo is at his office. Would you like me to get him?" She asked. I shook my head no. If he was busy, I wasn't going to bother him. 

"Can I ask you a question?" 

She sat down on the other side of the bed. "Sure you can." 

I bit my lip. "Is it possible to have a vampire as a mate?" By seeing the glint in her eyes, I could tell that she knew I was the subjected we were talking about.

"Well its not impossible, that's for sure. Its just rare. In reality, you can't control who destiny chooses to be mates." 

"But what is a mate? Like I have encountered werewolves in the past and know like the basics I guess. But can you explain it to me in depth?" She grinned. 

"A mate is a werewolf's source of total happiness. A mate makes life bearable, makes life seem so wonderful." I smiled as I see the love in her eyes. She has a mate. "Its like a piece of heaven on earth. Not everyone has a mate and it's not a essential factor for survival. Its a blessing. Every mate bond is different, so I can't tell you what you'll feel but when I'm with my mate, I don't want to be anywhere else. He completes me. A feeling of completeness is very common for mates, and its so addicting. When I'm away from him, I crave the the moments that I'm going to see or talk to him." As she kept telling me more about mates, I felt the fear creep over me. 

I was scared to lay so much trust on a single person. I was scared on experiencing feelings I have never felt before. This is all unknown territory to me. It was like stepping into a war zone, as crazy as it seems.  I was simply scared of love and everything it brings, both the pain and pleasure.