Chapter 6

I was sent to school with James the next day. I was handed Lauren's old bag, so all I had were hand-me-downs, except for my shoes. I stood next to a yawning James at the bus stop. 3 other kids, all girls who were talking in whispers, were in a quiet group about two feet away.

I listened to the girls, hoping that they would talk about the school. Of course, I was out of luck.

Instead, I heard these gems: "Britney's party is Friday," the girl with a pink outfit with a red bow at the top of her head told the others.

"I hope she vomits her guts out," the shortest girl, with the silver yarn dress, groaned. "She's so mean."

The tallest and whom appeared to be the eldest, with the blue blazer as attire and a yellow headband, spoke to the others. "She'll do it, girls. I'll make sure of it."

"I can't see it, Mom's making me study," the girl with the red bow said sadly.

"That's all right, nothing wrong with trying to be successful!" the tallest reassured her.

This is the wonderful part where James decided to fall asleep. I yelped and tried to partly carry him. This attracted the attention of the three girls. They surrounded me, not even stepping forward to help me hold up this lump of a human.

"You're friends with James Lora?" They asked, following one another's words like a chorus of singers.

"I suppose you could say that," I answered, pushing James up a bit. He didn't wake up. I laid him down in a way that made his body hold up from my shoulder.

The girls exchanged a look I knew well, mischief. "May we use your help?" I looked at them pointedly.

"What is that help, exactly?" I shifted, uncomfortable.

"We need to embarrass Britney Brands," they said.

"Sounds like a store."

"Ah, we all know that. She hates everyone, and everyone hates her right back. But she's popular. The regular cliché. But we know a secret..." The girls giggled. I watched them with equal amounts of confusion, fear, and the sinking feeling that something was going to go wrong either if I help them or not.

"What do you need me to do?"

"Convince James Lora."

"Why do you call him 'James Lora'? His name is James and he likes to be called that," I insisted.

"You seem pretty close to him... Are you his girlfriend?" the girl with the red bow asked.

I blushed in 1, embarrassment, and 2, in surprise. "It's not like that! That would be disgusting!"

"How so?" the tallest inquired.

"Well..." I tried to make sure he was comfortable, though I don't think he cared much. I came up with a sorta lie, sorta truth. "I'm adopted, so he's not technically my biological brother, but it certainly seems like it. Would you date your brother?"

"Only Crystal has a brother," the shortest girl said, pointing at the girl with the red bow.

"I see, and she wouldn't date him, would she?" Crystal shook her head violently. "Oh, I haven't received your names yet, I'm Matilda Staindrop."

"Caroline Drave," the shortest girl said with a still wave.

"Harvard Utgard," the tallest intoned.

"Crystal Rigord," Crystal said. I nodded.

"So what's James' relationship with Britney?" I asked, "he said he doesn't have friends at his school."

"Oh, that's because all the boys want to be with Britney. But she clearly likes James, so apparently that makes them jealous," Harvard explained.

"Oh."

"That'll make you a target too, just for being near him. Britney's gonna beat your guts out," Crystal said. I couldn't really tell their personalities, they were just saying stuff that I could somewhat understand.

"Bus here," James said, making me jump. Yes, the bus was starting to drive up, but how long was he awake for? He was still leaning on me, his breath heavy on my ear (which, for the record, is unsettling.).

"How long have you've been awake?" I asked as the bus came closer by the second.

"About when they started talking about my relationship with Britney. I suppose you know now."

"Know what?"

"Uh, hello? Now I suppose you know I'm being bullied." James held his head as he climbed on the bus. I followed him. "I am so sorry."

"About what? You brought me to this wonderful world from my bland one, and there's going to be obstacles. That's life. You know, James, sometimes bad things happen. So? You move on, you learn from it. That's another part of life. I'd hate to put some existential crisis in your life, but guess what? In 200 years, kids like you could still be learning the same thing, and maybe a kid like me can clear the cloud that's fogging up their brains. But will they think of you much? Of course not, unless you build their past, present, or their future! But what comes from that? The fickleness of fame."

I told him all this as he led me through the yellow banana that was called a bus. I sat next to him as I finished.

"That was too deep for a school bus," James commented after a bit of silence. I shrugged.

"I suppose." We moved along smoothly, until there was a pothole. I nearly flew a foot in the air, and nearly repeated the word that James' father said. "HOLY FU-"

James slapped his hand over my mouth. "Shh! You aren't allowed to say bad words."

"Why aren't there seat belts?" I muttered through James' hand. Since he didn't move it, I took some drastic measures.

"Gross! Did you just lick my hand?!" James shouted, wiping his hand on his jeans.

"Drastic measures," I told him. James gave me a weird and disgusted look. I gave him a crooked grin. I turned around and pressed my face against the window.

It was cold and my breath clouded my view. I rubbed the fog away, and stared at some of the trees passing by. One, pine. Two, oak. Three, maple. Four, fir. Five...

"Hey, what kind of tree is that?" I asked.

"Which one?" James looked out too.

"You missed it, slow poke." I poked his side. He ignored it.

"I think it was a cypress."

"A cypress?"

"They're native to California."

"I see." I didn't. At all. I didn't even know there was a California last week! I jerked forward and slammed my face into the back of the seat in front of me when the bus stopped. "Ow."

"School. Fun."

Yaya long chapter! I had writing block for so long. But hey! Sunday was Idea Day! And...

one of those ideas you may see in the not-so-near future...

new story confirmed?!?!1?!1!

Words: 1053