Chapter 15: Dinner with the Pirates

Start from the beginning

I heard a knock on my door as I finished my. I thought it was Erasmus come to bring me food or walk with me down the dining area. So I was surprised to see him at my door. A smile was far away from his face and he got even more serious when he saw Roger on my desk.

"Why would you let Roger inside your cabin?" He frowned.

I glanced at Roger who was watching us quietly with his icy blue eyes. He looked harmless as he quietly sat on my desk. I turned to Threy and defended Roger.

"He helped me decide whether I should go to the dinner or just stay here. He even accompanied me as I changed my clothes."

That's when he glared at Roger and took a step inside my cabin. I was caught off-guard by Threy Weston's rudeness but I realized that it was the Skull who's with me at the moment. I watched him walked towards Roger and was about to get him. But he hesitated for a moment before finally grabbing him by its neck.

But Roger wasn't lovely as I thought he was. He fought back and bit Threy's hand which caused the latter to throw Roger away. The cat jumped and ran swiftly leaving my cabin behind. I walked to Threy and tried to grab his hand that was bitten. But as I touched his hand, I felt the electricity that was sent to my body and realized how close we were to each other. Threy seemed to realize it, too so he took his hand back and kept it in the pocket of his trousers.

"It would take millions of cats to defeat me. It's just a scratch from that filthy, sneaky Roger." He said without looking at me.

I guessed I crossed the line this time without realizing it. I stepped back a little and sighed deeply. He probably needed more space between us.

"Do I still have to go to the dinner?" I asked.

"Do you want to?"

I frowned when he answered my question with another question. I was wondering a few moments ago if I should go or not. But after the conversation with Roger and him being here, I had already made my decision.

"There must be a reason why you invited me to have dinner with the pirates. I think I should go. I'd like to trust you about this."

I tried to make it sound formal and made sure that he wouldn't see the nervousness I was feeling. I decided to make my way out of my cabin and waited for him by the door. I watched him silently as he stood frigidly facing my desk as if Roger was still sitting there. I knew it already the moment I saw him with Captain Drakon but I would say it again: he had really changed. A lot. He's taller, colder, and unpredictable. I didn't know if I could still trust him as the Skull but I chose to do so. Even his family would have a hard time recognizing him, even getting him back. When he turned to me, I knew that was my cue to look away. I didn't want to make this night even more uncomfortable.

I heard him coming towards me and closed the door of my cabin. I followed him as he walked on the hall down to the forecastle. I could already hear the laughter and voices as we took the stairs and when we finally reached the dining area, everyone stopped from what they're doing and focused their attention on us. I decided to look for Erasmus and I saw him on a table beside Captain Drakon and the man who ate the egg in the Borgian Island. I knew Threy was going to head on that table and I had no choice but to join them. I shouldn't feel nervous since this was what I actually came for, right?