He grunted in acknowledgement and waited for us to form a line and wait to enter class. Whoops, sorry. We weren't in school. Hell, we weren't anywhere near school. So, I had no idea why I just said that. But, anyways, we started to walk.

×  × ×

   Daniel the fireman. Was I the only one who thought it strange that he was holed up in a hospital?

  It was a bricked building that was at least three storeys tall. It was surrounded by a large fence with barbed wires lining the top. There were only a few cars parked in the front, and they seemed to form a sort of protective line. It would have been child's play for anybody to squeeze past them, but I could see how the mindless zombies (flesh-eaters) could find trouble in these cars parked so close together. But they would only provide a minor distraction. Only a minor one.

  "One thing you should know." He said as we walked towards the hospital.

  "What is it?" Amelia asked.

  "I live in this hospital, but I don't live by myself."

  There was somebody waiting by the fence, with what appeared to be an assault rifle in her hands. She was short and pretty, with violet highlights in her hair. She wore dark army clothes that seemed too big on her, and that she had to cut to fit her. She looked at all of us as we arrived and I thought I saw her hands tense on her weapon.

  "Daniel," she nodded at him and he nodded back.

  I found myself nodding as well, and I could only curse myself as I did so.

  "Who are these guys?" Her eyes seemed to shoot darts into each of us as she surveyed us.

  "Violet, this is my sister, Amelia and her friends." Violet (Sorry, I just assumed her name was Violet and Daniel wasn't calling out the colour of her highlights) looked at Amelia with shocked eyes and Amelia looked at her with equally shocked eyes.

  "Everybody," Daniel continued, "this is Violet."

  "Ha, I get it." I said with a smile.

  She frowned. "Get what?"

  "Well, you know. Your name and the highlights in your hair. It's all just – you know." I said a little pleadingly.

  She just smiled and said, "Yeah, I know."

  "I'm sorry, who are you?" Amelia asked.

  Violet took a step back and bowed on the other side of the fence. "My name is Violet James and I am the first line of defence for this stupid hospital."

  "Yeah," Daniel said. "I think this conversation would be better preferred if we were on the other side of the fence."

  Violet's smile dropped a bit as she said. "Okay, I just need to make sure that none of them are bit."

  I gulped for some unknown reason as I imagined this strange yet cute girl prodding all over my body to find a bite mark I knew didn't exist.

  "None of us are bit." Mfundo said. "And even if we were, we would tell you."

  Would you, Theodore? Eric's voice almost whispered into my ear. I let the cold shiver run down my spine and decided to ignore him. Anyways, we had found somebody from one of our families, even if he wasn't too pleases. So, screw you Eric. Screw you very much.

  "Sorry, but we have to check." Violet said. "We're just trying to protect ourselves."

  Amelia gave a curt nod. "So, what do we have to do?"