Chapter 4 || Heartbroken Tomato

Nathaniel looked at Marinette, waiting for a response. The redhead suddenly became nervous, seeing her surprised expression. What if she didn't feel the same way? What if she somehow started hating him? He didn't want to think like that, he just wanted to find out how she felt about him. At this point, he was growing anxious, wanting Marinette to just say what was going to escape her mouth already. If she liked him back, then great. But if she didn't, he would just have to grin and bear it.

"Nathaniel.. I'm flattered and all, but- I have feelings for someone else.." Marinette admitted with an apologetic expression. She looked into the redhead's eyes and saw the heartbreak within them as a sad smile formed on his lips. "I'm so sorry..." the bluenette added as tears began to form in Nathaniel's eyes.

"I-It's okay, Marinette.. I should have realised sooner.." Nathaniel said sadly, wiping his eyes with his sleeve. "B-But if you're happy, I- I'm happy too." he then began to walk past her, his head lowered. "I need to use the bathroom.. Can you please inform Miss Mendeliev for me?" the redhead asked, not turning back around to make eye contact.

"O-Okay.." Marinette answered, making her way back to the classroom while Nathaniel walked to the boys bathroom, locking himself in one of the cubicles and sitting down, contemplating everything.

|~|

Back in class, Adrien saw Marinette walk in alone. At first, he thought she and Nathaniel spoke to Mr. Damocles individually, but at the same time, he thought Marinette would have waited. 'Maybe something happened? Or Nathaniel got sent home?' the blonde thought to himself. As Marinette walked past him, he stopped her by grabbing her arm.

"Where's Nathaniel? I thought he was with you?" he asked curiously, not wanting the redhead to miss out on anything in the class since the documentary ended.

"Oh, he went to the bathroom, he should be back in a moment." Marinette answered truthfully, leaving out the part where he confessed his feelings for her. Adrien began to think that he was upset for getting into trouble with Miss Mendeliev and didn't want to come to class because of him falling asleep. Being the kind and caring soul he is, he asked if he could use the bathroom. Miss Mendeliev excused him and continued to teach.

|~|

Nathaniel was crying uncontrollably at this point, knees being held against his chest and his messy red hair in his face. Tears continuously made their way down the poor boy's cheeks, staining them. He coughed a couple of times and gasped for breath, but still he cried.

"O-Of course she w-wouldn't feel the same way... Who would ever- Ever love a shy guy like me a-anyway?" he asked himself between sobs. The redhead was so upset that he didn't even hear the bathroom door open. It was when he heard a familiar voice that he lifted his head and widened his eyes.

"Nathaniel? You in here?" Adrien's voice asked. The blonde noticed one of the cubicles was shut, he approached it and knocked on the door. Nathaniel decided to come out, he needed comfort, a hug from someone. He unlocked the door and opened it, looking into the blonde's eyes.
"Hey, what's wrong?" Adrien asked, noticing the redhead's bloodshot teal eyes and his tear stained cheeks. Nathaniel sniffled and wiped away any stray tears.

"I- I confessed to M-Marinette, but... She- She doesn't like me back.. She likes s-someone else." He answered, more tears falling from his eyes. Adrien's eyes widened. He had to admit, he felt bad for Nathaniel. Being that one friend who is always there when someone is upset, he pulled Nathaniel into a warm and comforting hug, the redhead crying uncontrollably again.

"I'm so sorry, Nathaniel.." Adrien said in a calm voice, rubbing circles into Nathaniel's back in an attempt to soothe him. Nathaniel, without even thinking, gripped Adrien's shirt, surprising the blonde a little. "But hey, doesn't Juleka like you?" he asked curiously, thinking about what he heard the red eyed girl say.

"N-No," Nathaniel replied, tears still falling down his cheeks. "She- She likes someone else too." he was heartbroken, shattered even, and Adrien could see that just by looking at the slightly shorter boy in front of him. "I-I don't think that- That anyone would love s-someone like me.." 

"Don't think like that, Nathaniel," Adrien lifted Nathaniel's chin up, making the redhead look at him. "You're one of the nicest people I know. Of course someone in this world would love you. You just haven't found the one yet." he continued with a soft smile.

The redhead nodded and wiped away his tears. He knew Adrien was right, although he didn't actually believe it yet. Nathaniel started to calm down as the blonde continued to keep him positive. The two boys soon made their way back to class and sat down in their designated seats, Adrien's best friend, Nino Lahiffe, looked at him curiously.

"Is Nathaniel alright?" he asked.

"He was upset about feeling unloved before, but he's okay now." Adrien replied, turning his head to look over at Nathaniel and shoot a smile in his direction. Nathaniel returned the gesture and mouthed the words 'thank you' before paying attention to the class.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Heya guys, Trashy_Nagito here.

So chapter 4 is finally done and dusted *sigh of relief* now I gotta work on chapter 5 which will take a while for me to write up and of course publish because University and assignments.

But I will do my best to get it done as soon as possible.

Anyway, I hope you all enjoyed this chapter and I'll see you in the next one.

~Trashy_Nagito

Song of the Night: Yuri!!! on Ice OP - History Maker [FULL] by Kuraiinu on YouTube and the original Yuri!!! on Ice OP by Dean Fujioka

Word Count: 883