Chapter 29: Tunnel

Start from the beginning

"Are you okay Levy?" she asked after we walked for a while. 

"Yeah, why?" I asked.

"Because you're not, you're being really harsh on Christopher," she replied. "And you told me that you were giving your dad another chance, but you've been avoiding him. We're alone now, so tell me what's going on."

"Everything... it's just terrible and it keeps getting worse. My dad pops back into my life like it's nothing. I get taken down in a fight against kids and then I have to go to freaking court to argue against my boss to protect this boy I barely know, because I can't help but... because I...

"And then... and then you guys are attacked and I get kidnapped. I lose my limbs. And when we get out and everything seems to be looking up, that same stupid guy turns out to be exactly what everyone said he was. And the worst thing to come back from the dead comes back. And I'm honestly not sure if this can get any worse," I said and Sara looked at me. "Are you happy now?"

She pulled me into a hug, making us stop walking. "I'm not big on hugs Sara."

"Right now you are. It'll get better Levy, it always does," she said as she held me tighter. Finally I put my arms around her and hugged her back.

"If you expect me to start crying, it's not going to happen," I said and she laughed.

"Of course not, you are Olivier's daughter after all, though Alex is your uncle," she said as she let me go and I rolled my eyes. We started walking again. 

"The day I become like my uncle, hit me," I said and Sara laughed. We walked for a while, seeing nothing of real interest and hearing nothing from the other group. Sara kept looking around like something was wrong.

"Sara are you okay?" I asked.

"I feel like someone is watching us," she replied.

"Sara, the only other people in this tunnel are on the other side hundreds of feet away, no one is watching us," I said. "Besides, we would see their light, wouldn't we?"

"I just can't shake the feeling," she replied. I stopped walking and looked around with the flashlight I couldn't see anyone in the tunnel or hear anything other than our own breathing. But instincts weren't something to be ignored, especially if you felt like someone was watching. Suddenly there was an arm across my waist and a hand on my mouth before everything went dark. And then I was let go as everything got brighter.

"Sara? Sara!" I shouted unable to see her in the dim lights of the lanterns. Where did lanterns come from.

"Levy, calm down, please," a voice said and I turned around and saw Se-Pride standing there. 

"Pride," I whispered.

He looked at the ground. "I imagined you calling me that, I didn't think it would hurt this much."

"That is who you are," I replied maintaining my distance from him.

"You don't really believe that, do you?" He stepped towards me. "If you did, you'd attack me right?"

I scoffed and held my ground even though I wanted to be nowhere near him. 

"Levy, if I was against you, if I really was on his side you'd be dead right now. You would have died in Drachma, who do you think took you back into Amestris? If I had really sided with my father you, the Elrics, and the Mustang kid would all be dead right now," he pointed out.

"I have no idea if they're dead," I argued meeting his gaze.

"Levy, someone needs to be on the inside. That was something they didn't have the last time. Something you could benefit from," he said.

"And I should believe you? I believed you, I put my trust into you and that's not something I do lightly and I got burned. I don't give second chances when you lose my trust, there is no 'fool me twice'."

"I'm not trying to fool you Levy. I didn't have the chance to explain to you what I was planning and I acted on what was the best chance to keep the both of us alive."

"Are you kidding me? Are you actually serious? You expect me to believe you? Pride pretended to be an innocent child, you really think I'll believe this facade?"

Suddenly his lips pushed against mine, I didn't even realize he got close enough to do that or it could be the homunculus part of him that allowed him to move so fast, part of me was okay with it. Part of me wasn't read for it to end. But those were very, very small parts compared to my anger at him. I pushed him against the chest and away from me.

"YOU DON'T GET TO DO THAT!" I screamed at him. "You don't get to... you lost that right! What in the hell were you thinking?"

"I just want you to believe me," he said quietly.

"And that isn't the way to do it," I replied. I rested my hand on my mouth and my other arm laid across my chest as if blocking those areas would protect me somehow. 

"Then what can I say? What can I do?" he asked, but now maintaining a distance away from me. 

"Words don't mean a lot to me, actions show who you are. And right now all I want you to do is take me back to Sara and stay away from me."

He nodded. "I have to touch you, we aren't exactly close to where I grabbed you from."

"You get any ideas and you lose a hand."

He nodded and slowly came towards me like he expected me to hit him. When I didn't he put his arms around me. "I'm sorry Levy." And then I was in darkness and then there was no longer warmth but it was still dark.

"LEVY!!!!" I heard Sara scream.

"Sara! Sara I don't have my flashlight!" I shouted.

"Levy? Oh god, just stay where you are I'm coming," she replied and in a few minutes I saw her flashlight and I ran to her. She hugged me. "Are you okay? What happened? You just disappeared."

"Yeah I'm fine, give me the radio," I ordered and she did. 

"Is everyone there?" I asked.

"Levy? Where were you?" Maes asked.

"Is. Everyone. There?" I asked.

"I'm here," Trisha said.

"Mustang?" I asked.

"Yeah Armstrong, what happened on your side of the tunnel?" he asked.

"Pride. I want everyone out of this tunnel right now. Forget the hours, get to the ladder and door now," I ordered.