Chapter 1

The band was staying in downtown Shreveport, Louisiana this weekend. They, of course, were in the middle of a tour, and are constantly busy, but Josh had found a small bit of free time. There were plenty of unfinished books Josh had with him, but the buzz of a festival going on changed his plans of reading.

Josh informed his fellow band mates of where he would be, via text, and left his hotel. Being a private soul, Josh chose a different hotel than the others. It wasn't that he didn't enjoy fan interactions, he just didn't enjoy the mobs, or the insisting, rather than asking, of autographs...or the flashing cameras.

Not really sure of where he was heading, Josh just followed the noise and small groups of people. It relieved him that he hadn't been recognized. For one thing, no one was really looking, but his beanie, sunglasses, and casual clothing helped.

A few crosswalks later Josh was at the entry of what he heard civilians call the Let the Good Times Roll, festival. As he entered, Josh didn't know what to do. Should he try the food? Maybe play some of the festival games?

Playing the games didn't seem like much fun. Josh didn't want to stand out, not only was he a tourist, but he was there alone. So, Josh settled with grabbing a to-go bowl of gumbo (he had only had it when he was in New Orleans) and sat on a bench. He listened to the live band and watched the people go by. This was something he often did; sitting in his own world, watching the one around him slowly go by.

Josh was so focused on his food and his thoughts, he didn't notice the woman who sat on the bench next to him. He was taken away from his thoughts when he saw her swift movements, rummaging through her bag. She pulled out a water bottle and something small he couldn't see. Josh assumed it was an aspirin from the way she popped it in her mouth and gulped down some water after it.

Once she swallowed, she sighed and muttered under her breath, "Fuck."

"Are you alright?" Josh quietly inquired. At first he thought he had spoken too low for her to hear, but she turned and replied to him.

"Yeah. I'm alright. Thanks for asking sir." Josh's eyebrows raised at the word sir and he chuckled a bit.

"That's a first," he mumbled.

"What?" The young lady asked.

"Nothing... just I've never been called sir.."his voice trailed of. This time the young woman chuckled.

" Well I don't mean any harm."

After hearing her speak Josh could only think of one thing: her southern accent is adorable. It made Josh shift in his seat, and fiddle with his hands a small bit. He wasn't sure how to reply.

"Are you from around here?" She asked after a few moments of silence.

"Oh..no. I'm from California."

"That's nice. Where 'bout in California?" There's that accent again.

"Los Angeles." Josh smiled.

"Wow big city," she began, " I'm Maeve by the way.' Maeve stuck out her hand for Josh to shake.

He shook her hand and spoke," I'm ..uh.. I'm Jay."

"Nice to meet you Jay."

"You too."

The two sat there quietly for a while. They weren't saying much but both of their minds buzzed. Not about anything in particular, except for each other.

"What brings you to Shreveport?" Maeve broke the silence once again.

"The music." Josh replied simply.

"Ah..a lot of people came into town for the Red Hot Chili Peppers. Performing at the Century Link Center across the river tomorrow."

She said all in one breath. Josh's palms started to sweat, as he though he had given himself away.

"Are...are you going to the show?" Josh asked.

"Nope. I'd like to but I can't afford it at the moment. I haven't listened to 'em in years. It would be nice to hear the new songs they have out. I heard they got a new member," Maeve paused and took a glance at Josh, " I'd like to see him one day." Maeve finished speaking and Josh let out a breath. He wasn't even aware he was holding it.

"Yeah." He said simply.

"Well I have to get going." Maeve began to rise from her seat, " It's about to be sundown and let's just say the freaks really do come out at night." Both Maeve and Josh laughed at her comment.

"Do you mind if I walk out with you?" Josh offered.

"Of course not." Maeve grabbed her bag and waited for Josh to throw away his trash. The two walked together slowly. Speaking to each other here and there. Josh was debating whether he should walk Maeve home or not. Before he could make up his mind it was time for them to part ways.

Maeve turned to him and said, "Thanks for keeping me company Jay." Josh grinned at the self given nickname he came up with on the fly.

" It was my pleasure Maeve." Maeve stood for a moment looking at her feet. She seemed nervous now.

"Do you think we could..keep in contact? I'm not sure how long you'll be in town but.." her voice trailed off as she shrugged. Josh was surprised. Was a woman really asking for his number? Of course women flirted with him, but none ever took the initiative to ask for his number.

"I won't be in town for much longer...but we could definitely stay in touch." Maeve smiled at his response. Happily they switched phones and entered their contacts.

"Great well have a good night Jay."

"You too Maeve." Josh watched for a few moments as Maeve walked away. Then he turned and walked back to his hotel. Thinking of Maeve the whole way.