Chapter 6

"They say it's what you make, I say it's up to fate." Demons by Imagine Dragons.

It takes 15 minutes to reach his house/office. He works at home. We are good friends; he has tried to help me numerous times.

I go up to the door and knock twice. "It's open!" he shouts from inside. I walk in.

He already has a patient who he's massaging. "Hey Cody," he says. He looks at his patient. "There we go. All better?" The man stands up, says yes, and leaves.

"Hey Ethan," I say. "We have a bit of an emergency here." I turn around and show him my shoulder. "Don't ask," I add.

"Wasn't gonna anyway. Come over here and lay on your stomach." He points at a table in the next room and I lay on it. He goes and gets a pair of tweezers and a metal tray. He walks over.

"I have to warn you, Cody, this will hurt a lot. There will be instant relief after the bullet is out. I will try to work as fast as I can. Feel free to scream if it hurts too much." He puts a lamp over my back. "Here we go."

The second the tweezers touch my skin I feel a pain so sharp I scream. This hurts more than when I actually was shot. I try to hold all the screams in, waiting for Ethan to get the bullet out. A few seconds pass.

"Got it!" he says. He heaves a sigh and I hear something clang on the metal tray next to him. He was right about instant relief. It still hurts a lot but it's less pain than a few seconds ago. I sit up and look at the bullet on the tray. It looks too big to have come from my shoulder.

"So," Ethan says, trying to start a conversation. "You told me not to ask, but I'm gonna. What exactly happened to your arm?"

Great, I think to myself. Now I have to tell him the story.