Chapter 6

He couldn't see her. 

Why couldn't he see her?

It's not fair, he should be able to see her!

His phone was moving in every direction, hoping to just catch a glimpse of her. 

"There! There she is!" Johnny pointed to one of the many students in black robes and black hats, not giving Carlton any help on this situation. "Bloody hell, it's like finding Waldo! Where is she?" Johnny kept trying to tell him, but Ben simply couldn't see her. 

Johnny finally sighed, then said, "She's the only one in a dress and red converse, Ben." Carlton suddenly saw a glimpse of the red shoes and excitedly pointed his phone at her. "I can't believe my baby is graduating from college," he mumbled. 

Johnny smirked, then said, "I can wait for that day to come. Hell, I can wait till high school graduation for Cass." Carlton chuckled, then put all his attention on Dani once the Dean was nearing the end of his speech. 

"By the power invested in me and the state of Massachusetts, I herby declare you the class of twenty twenty three!" Carlton stood up and cheered with the rest of the parents as the students threw their hats in the air. His tears welled up with pride and his smile could not be any wider. 

To beat the crowd of eager parents, Carlton and Johnny quickly made their out of the crowd and to where they were to meet their kids. Some parents followed their lead and soon, they were surrounded by hundreds of parents. "So much for beating the crowd," Johnny grumbled. 

A few minutes later, the students came out, each one looking for their parent. Carlton was the first to spot Dani when she came out. "Dani!" He called. She eagerly looked around until she finally spotted him. She sprinted over, pushing everyone out of her path, then jumped into his arms. 

"I did it!" She squealed. Carlton laughed and hugged her tight against him. "Oh, my baby, I'm so proud of you," he said. "Bloody hell, I can't believe you graduated." They both laughed with tears in their eyes. 

Carlton pulled back from the hug and looked her over. "My gorgeous girl," he said, as he ran his thumb over her cheek. "I love you so much, Pumpkin." Tears started making their way down her cheeks as she cried, "Oh, daddy, I love you, too." 

After giving her a kiss on the cheek, she hugged Johnny. "Where's Ryan?" Carlton asked her. She looked around and said, "I don't know. Either way, his parents are still coming over for the party. Thank you for hosting it, by the way. I know his parents appreciate it."

He put his arm around her and said, "Of course. Anything for my girl." They walked over to the car, where they saw Ryan and his parents. "Ryan!" Dani called. Ryan looked over and ran over to her. Once they got to each other, they hugged and kissed. 

While they had their little moment, Carlton and Johnny caught up with Ryan's parents. "They are so cute together," his mother gushed. Carlton chuckled, "They are. Come on, kids, we have to get to the banquet room on time!" 

Ryan and Dani made their way over to their parents, still wrapped up in each other. They all drove together to a fancy hotel where Carlton reserved a banquet room for Ryan and Dani's joint graduation party. 

Carlton made sure everything was good a ready to go before Ryan's family, Johnny's wife and two kids and a bunch of Ryan and Dani's friends showed up. The party was in full swing by eight o'clock. 

Carlton didn't participate in any dancing or social interaction. He just sat in the back corner with a smile on his face. Dani was laughing and smiling and the having the time of her life. Dani eventually saw him that corner alone and waved him over.