Friday Morning

"But we don't want to leave Y/N." Tom pouted as Gen stood in the hallway. "She was super nice. She played with us, we watched a movie, and Dad even ordered pizza. Can't we stay one more day?" He begged.

Glancing at Gen, you waited to see how she would take it. They were her boys, her blood, and you were only the new girlfriend. "Well, maybe we could stay a little bit longer. That is, if Y/N doesn't mind?" She asked, looking at you.

Even though you still had to pack for the convention you were leaving for tonight, you couldn't say no to her. How would that look? Refusing to spend time with his ex and children. "Sure. I was just going to make myself some tea, would you like some?"

"That would be great. Boys, why don't you go play a little more." Gen suggested, watching as they ran out to the backyard. 

"Go join them, I'll bring our tea out." You told her, heading into the kitchen as she went outside, sitting on the patio. With the outdoor fireplace it wouldn't be too chilly this morning to sit outside. Once in the kitchen, you took a moment to compose yourself, reaching for the cups when your phone rang. 

Seeing that it was Jared, you quickly picked it up. "Hey sweetheart. How are things going? Gen pick the boys up yet?"He asked as you heard the sounds of the set behind him. 

"She's here. We're going to have some tea together before she leaves." You explained. "The boys weren't ready to leave yet."

"And you're okay with her being there?" He asked. "I know her and I have a friendly relationship still, but I know it must be kind of unnerving for you."

Sighing, you went about pouring the tea, grabbing some snacks for everyone as well. "She's a part of your life. The two of you share some pretty amazing kids, and I don't want to get in between that. So, I'm going to try, and get to know her."

"You're pretty amazing yourself, you know that?" He told you. "But listen, their calling me back to set. So, I'll see you around four this evening? I'll drop by the house, get changed and get my bag and we should make our flight."

"Sounds great." You answered, hanging up the phone and heading out the patio. The boys were busy playing, and Gen was sitting there, her arms wrapped around her as if she was cold. "I'm sorry. I didn't expect to take that long, but Jared called."

Reaching over, you turned on the fireplace, and soon the two of you could feel warm air blowing your way. Handing her a cup, you sipped your own, watching the boys. "You have some really great kids." You told her, trying to break up the silence.

"Thank you. They really are sweet boys. And I'm glad they were able to spend some time with you." She said. "I have a feeling you and Jared are going to be together for a long time, and I don't want any bad feelings between any of us."

"Why are you so sweet?" You blurted out. "This just doesn't seem right. You're Jared's ex, I'm his new girlfriend. I always thought this was supposed to be awkward, full of tension and carefully hidden resentment."  As you sat there, you couldn't believe what had actually just come out of your mouth. It was things you had been thinking, but you had never expected that you would actually come out and say them. And you didn't expect her to laugh.

"I wouldn't call myself sweet." She chuckled. "And maybe a couple of months ago I wouldn't have been so happy with this. But it's time for Jared to move on. And while my feelings for him might no longer be romantic, I still do care for the big goofball. That means getting to know his girlfriend, and hopefully becoming friends with her. I don't want my kids growing up with discord between the two houses, between two sets of parents. And, you seem pretty cool." 

"I think you're being extremely smart about this whole thing." You told her, just as she stood up.

"I'm trying. And that's all I can do. Hopefully one day I'll find another man in my life, and I'm hoping the two of you will react the same way." She said, before calling over her boys. "But for now, we need to get going. We're heading back down to Seattle."

"Maybe when you're back in town we can get together for a girl's day, or even lunch." You suggested as both boys came running over. 

"Do we have to go?" Shep asked, his bottom lip sticking out in a pout.

"Yeah, we've got a long road trip ahead of us." She told him, ruffling his hair. "But we'll see Y/N soon." 

Surprising you, both boys came rushing over to you, wrapping their arms around your hips. "Bye Y/N. We love you." They told you, and you leaned down, wrapping your arms around them. 

"Love you guys too. And it won't be long before we get to hang out again." You promised them, before they followed their Mom out of the house. As soon as they were gone, you went up to your room, looking at the clothes you had out for your trip to the convention. You weren't exactly sure what you wanted to wear so you had at least two outfits for each day, on top of your karaoke outfit for tonight. It would be cutting it close, by the time your plane landed, but you had promised them you would show up for at least part of the evening event. Jensen and Jared were going out bar hopping, while you took the time to get to know the other actors from your show. You had worked with Kim, and she was the one who had pleaded with you to come tonight.

Sighing, you couldn't lie to yourself any longer. You were nervous, and a little scared about this convention. It was your first convention, and it was also the first time you would be around fans after your relationship with Jared had started. You were afraid they were going to put you on the spot, or shun you. You weren't ready to deal with that type of negativity, and it made you want to cancel your appearance. 

Hearing your notification go off, you pulled your phone from your pocket. "Almost done packing yet? Maybe you could pack for me, lol." Jared teased. "I can't wait for the convention this weekend. You're going to love it. See you soon."

It was settled. You were going to that convention, and you weren't going to let the fans get you down. Hopefully, they would be supportive of your relationship with Jared, giving you the backing you so desperately wanted. You really wanted your relationship with Jared to work, and you weren't sure it would if there were too many variables opposing it.

With a determined smile on your face, you began folding your clothes, placing it into your suitcase before moving onto your bathroom. After making sure your make up and hair were done, you packed every beauty item you would need for the weekend. 

Dragging your suitcase down the stairs, you placed it by the garage, before making yourself a quick lunch. Heading back out onto the patio, you took a book with you, planning on relaxing for the next couple of hours until Jared showed up and you had to leave. Trying to ignore the butterflies that refused to leave your stomach, your nerves too strong to completely push away.