Chapter 2 - He Is Among Us

“Hey Babe,” Marcus grabbed the back of Cooper’s head and forced a kiss onto him. Cooper hated it, the feeling of Marcus’s tongue squirming around his mouth. Trying to pull free, Cooper pushed against Marcus’s broad chest. Then, either by found strength or Marcus’s will, Cooper was released and fell onto the wooden floor. Marcus only stumbled but transformed into a wolf. The black fur and red eyes stared Cooper down and Marcus grabbed Cooper’s leg, not breaking the skin but pulling him out into the hallway.

Then Cooper saw the underside of another animal and it slammed into the wolf both of them colliding into the opposite wall, their teeth gnashed at each other. A beautiful red fox smashed into the wolf. Scrambling to his feet, Cooper watched the two animals bite each other’s neck. It was like déjà vu each one vying for the top position. Flashes of the fight between Marcus and Cooper’s former lover, Tobalt, flashed in his head. The images were still fresh in his mind, that small diner on the side of the road and Marcus snapping Tobalt’s neck.

            Then, lying in the hallway, Marcus, naked and bloody sat on top of Gerome looking at Cooper. His hands gripped Gerome’s neck but Marcus’s eyes were only on Cooper. His muscled body dusted with hair and pushed into Gerome’s backside. “Come on baby, tell me you love me.”

            “No Marcus,” Cooper shook his head and Marcus shrugged his shoulders. Bang. A gunshot and Marcus fell backwards his shoulder spewing out red blood onto the floor. Instantly, Gerome leapt forward transforming back into the red-tailed fox. Cooper grabbed his bag and down the hall. Standing in the hallway was Soraya, holding the gun. Her eyes were wide, but he shot was good – this wasn’t the first time she defended herself.

            Cooper grabbed Soraya’s hand and the three ran out onto the stone steps of the apartment building. Parked out front was Jake’s jeep, Kayla was seated in the back seat her blond hair pulled up into a ponytail, next to her was Emily Lee. Running to the jeep Cooper took the back seat and Soraya jumped into shotgun. Gerome, still as a red fox leapt into the open trunk and Jake sped off.

            The wind whipped at Cooper’s hair and the group of friends drove down the street merging onto the 10-freeway east. After silence and adrenaline, the wind and sun felt more calming than anything else. Emily jammed in between Cooper and Kayla in the back turned to Cooper.

            “That was the wolf, the one that attacked us. The one that appeared at the doorway to your apartment as we drove off.” Emily asked. She was in a tank top with a beanie on her head. Her arm was covered in a sleeve of tattoos and she lit a joint in the back seat. “He was the one that killed Tobalt?”

            “Yeah,” Cooper said, the word was easier than he thought it would be. There had been so much grief surrounded by Tobalt’s death. Cooper was tired of grief, it was exhausting, but he wasn’t ready to talk about it. Not fully, at least. The car sped along the freeway.

            “So what’s the deal with the fox?” Jake glanced at the three in the rearview mirror. The fox in the trunk perked its head up. “It’s cute but like…”

            “It’s a shape shifter,” Kayla pointed out and reached behind her to pet the appreciative fox on the head. “I’m guessing its Gerome. He is a friend of ours.”

“I’d use that term loosely,” Cooper adjusted himself in the seat. “Where are Parker and Caitlyn?”

“Working,” Kayla answered. “Caitlyn may come up but I’m not sure. Cooper, Soraya caught us up. How are we going to fight Jonas?”

Cooper looked at all of his friends as the jeep sped down the freeway towards the mountains east of Los Angeles. For so long he had kept all of this a secret from his friends: the demons, the wolves, the vampires, the shape shifters, and everything else supernatural and weird. In a way, it all just seemed so crazy to Cooper, he couldn’t even grasp the reality of it when it was a bloody heap on his bed.  Blinking in the sunlight, Cooper couldn’t find the words. He had never learned how to share this part of himself with people but suddenly everyone knew. They didn’t have to be mind readers to know what was going on. Not anymore.

Ghost Stories (manxman)जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें