CHAPTER EIGHTY SEVEN

Start from the beginning

"I heard you broke his nose." He said.

"Along with like, five others." Another added.

"Well," I said as causally as I could. "I would sure hope I broke his nose. And I have no fucking clue what other people you're talking about." I raised my eyebrows at them, but they all went quiet. I puffed a frustrated breath out of my nose, and turned to keep walking.

"Hey Ashton, wait," I heard a sincere voice behind me. I spun around, and looked back at the same guy who had called me out just a minute ago. His tone of voice had softened, and it confused me.

"Yes?" I replied.

"Can you hook me up with some crack?" He said, making the people he stood with burst into laughter. Instantly, my jaw tensed and my eyes widened, my heart starting to pound.

"What?" I asked.

"I mean, I know you know where to get some," he replied with a smirk. "Or was it ecstasy? Maybe both?"

People started to laugh, and it was in that moment I felt like I did at Nick's party: shameful, lonely... a freak. I didn't know what to do at first, beside just stare back at them in disbelief at the fact that they would literally call me out about something they know absolutely nothing about when they don't even know me. I knew what they were talking about; it was obvious. But, after a couple moments, I spoke up.

"Were you there, dude?" I asked, stepping closer to them. The guy shook his head no, but the one beside him nodded.

"I was," he laughed. "I saw the whole thing."

"So you saw what I did to your friend Nick?" I asked nonchalantly, tilting my head to the side. The guy's eyes widened slightly, and he nodded.

"I will literally do the same to you," I muttered, narrowing my eyes at him. "And snap your neck along with it." My tone of voice was cold and harsh; I guess I'm putting on that fake attitude I do when I'm around Michael's dealer and other people like that. Of course I'm not gonna snap his neck, even though this guy's literally asking for it.

"I..." his voice trailed off. "...I'm not scared of you. You can't do anything to me. Not when Brooke could walk right in and agree with everyone that you're a freak."

"Wh-what?" I shrunk back, my voice cowarding into a worried cry.

"Huh?" He replied. "Dude calm the fuck down. I said that I'm not scared of you, because you can't do anything to me on school property."

My eyes widened, and I stepped back from the group of strangers. They looked at me with confused expressions, and I felt my hands start to shake at my sides. Why did I hear the exact opposite to what he said?

Oh right, my mind.

"Okay," I finally spoke up, tensing up my voice and stature. "Well I'd watch your back, jerk. I'll fuck you up, and the rest you." I shifted my eyes to the rest of the group, and they all looked kind of intimidated by me. Wow, that's surprising.

I turned on my heels, and stomped off to where I was intentionally going to. "Just think of Brooke's text." An astonishingly helpful voice said in my head. I sighed, but agreed with it.

I finally settled down onto the bench next to the tree, and slung my backpack off my shoulder and leaned back. I ran my hands through my hair, and looked around the courtyard to see no sign of Brooke whatsoever. Fuck.

I slumped my back, and closed my eyes. I was so incredibly tired, I wouldn't be surprised if I fall asleep in 3rd period. History is borning anyways.

"You." I heard a familiar voice approach me. My muscles tensed up and my eyes shot open. Jessie stood there, her blonde hair tied into a pony tail and a ton of whatever that shit that girls put on their face is. Foundation or whatever.