Then I dried up my tears and went back to the kitchen where the entire staff had prepared tea and biscuits for me to eat with them, though the staff was in full steam for the event that would take place in Stanley Hall.

"Miss Stewart we had no idea Sir Paul was your grandfather, you sly little thing," Gertie said.

"I never thought any good would come of mentioning it," I drank the tea finding some comfort from the talk with Mr. Howard in the warmth of it.

"So will we ever see you back here?" Mr. Bert asked.

"I am not sure," though I would do everything possible to avoid Mr. Howard.

"Of course not she will probably be busy with society right?" Mrs. Hall asked.

"No you will see me I just do not know how soon."

"What about the Spring dinner here?" Ms. Johnson asked.

"I cannot stay my family is waiting for me; I will be at home for a while until I am thoroughly acting in the ways of society."

"Yes of course good luck on catching up with all those well trained ladies," Gertie giggled.

"Well what we are all trying to say is we are very happy for your good fortune," Mr. Bert said.

"Yes Mr. Bert is right, you have the makings of a lady and you will face no trouble when it comes to fitting in," Mrs. Hall tapped my hand.

"Thank you Mrs. Hall and I should go now."

"I will show you out," Mr. Eugene said for once smiling.

"Thank you very much Mr. Eugene," I said and hugged everyone even Ms. Johnson wished me good luck in my new life.

"It was good working with you Eugene," I wanted to part with him on good terms even though we did not get along at first.

"Yes it was, you did a fine job" he admitted and I smiled.

"Miss Stewart," Mr. Howard stopped me before Eugene opened the door for me.

"Yes sir?"

"Eugene I will escort her outside," Mr. Howard dared after laughing at my face to come down and send me off.

"Very well sir," Eugene excused himself.

"We said our goodbyes Mr. Howard," I said sternly.

"Not until you get this," he gave me a package and looked to see if Eugene was gone.

"What is it?"

"A parting gift," he opened the door halfway and I gave it back.

"No parting gifts I meant our goodbye."

"Open it on your way to your new home" he pulled it back to me.

"Sir I did not accept anything from your son and I cannot accept anything from you." I walked out the door and put it against his chest but he followed me with it.

"For God's sake Alice if you do not take it I will take another kiss as a parting gift from you without a care for who sees it," he gave the gift again and I accepted it against my wishes.

Mr. Howard helped me inside the carriage then the moment became visible I did not want to say the words I was about to say. I stared at the curl that fell to the side of his forehead and where his shirt was stained by paint never more to see it.

"Goodbye Mr. Howard."

"Ungrateful Alice, you could never grant me my wishes could you?" He kissed my hand and I forced myself to let go of him as the air left my body under the new tight black mourning dress I wore.

"No sir."

"Good, it seems you have learned your lesson after all," he reminded me of the girl who always said yes to everything and everyone would leave forever altered.

Digging through the package to see what he had given me it was the book he caught me reading the night of our first kiss. Mr. Howard's intention was to disturb me with memories of him and I was guilty of wanting to keep him in my heart even though it meant he was winning. It was unspeakable to let him kiss me the way he did, what could be worst to lady's reputation than for people to find out she had let herself be seduced into such a moment with a man who had showed no intentions of taking her seriously. Yet here I was once again with his taste on my lips, my hands wiping the sweat off the back of my neck, picturing his strong statue like body near mine and the reaction of my pulse accelerated again. Then I gladly said goodbye to Stanley Hall the place I would never want to see again not even in my dreams or nightmares for there lived the most terrible memories I had made to never keep in my story again.

April of 1889.

***********
This is the end...
To the first part of the story

**************************
No part of this story may be replicated in any form.
Copyright: All Rights Reserved to A. Sena Gomes.