Chapter 10 - Ambush

Start from the beginning

Horn at his lips, he blew a long note followed by two short. 

The Silverborn dove into an organised frenzy as they formed up into a defensive position. They'd barely settled when leaves began to rustle and silhouettes became visible inside the treelines, the demented proportions of limbs and grunted communication confirming Tayne's worst fear--tainted were in this group.

There weren't many, only six or so, but it would be enough to ensure this wasn't an easy fight for the Silverborn. 

Even as Tayne was considering their game plan, the largest one with black horns that twisted back around his head and a hook-spiked tail stepped forward alone to scan the crowd.

The action in itself was enough to catch Tayne's attention. He nudged Wing forward with his toe, bringing her to the front of the Silverborn line. It gave him a chance to glimpse the tainted's rune on its forehead, the mark that showed the world whether they'd been forcefully turned or not. 

A stretched 'M' with a triangle implanted between the crests met his eyes, seeding anger in Tayne's thoughts. From the disgusted whispers passing between Silverborn, he knew he wasn't the only one. 

Vercton. 

Someone, who, before being turned into a monstrosity had been willing to let it happen. For whatever twisted reason, when the corruption had claimed their soul, they hadn't resisted it. They'd embraced it and maintained their former intelligence, unlike their unwilling counterparts, Crevtons. Those were distinctly more brutal than Verctons as a result of the hate they were left with upon their creation. 

The tainted gave a hiss of triumph as its eyes locked on something--more likely someone--in the crowd where Tayne knew Skye to be standing close to Wrain. 

It bared its teeth, presenting the full force of the jagged interior to Tayne, who raised his sword at its throat in return. 

"I am Neploc, third-in-command to the Hunter," it said in the gravelly voice of a tainted. "You, Silverborn, will give us the elf. We will kill you quickly if you cooperate." 

"I don't think that can be arranged," replied Tayne. No matter what, he was determined to keep Skye out of their hands. Not only because she was a Sentinel, but because the wounds she bore still made him cringe when he saw them. She's suffered enough.

Luke called out from several metres away. "Dammit, Tayne! I was looking forward to a nice, quick demise with no fighting back!" 

The demon growled, in what Tayne assumed was laughter.

"You should listen to your comrade, Silverborn." It pointed a taloned hand towards them. "It was reckless arrogance that placed you in this position, thinking you may disrupt the corruption's spread but the Master has decided it is time to end your meddling. Your pathetic attempts are becoming annoying."

"Glad to know we make an impression," said Nissa's voice. "Next time, we should announce we're coming with trumpets. Can you demons play trumpets, by any chance?" 

"Your bravado will not last long when my claws taste your flesh, half-blood," said the tainted. His gaze switched back to Tayne. "Give me the girl."

Tayne held its black depths of eyes. "Never."

The tainted's face twisted into what looked like a smile. 

"I was hoping that would be your answer." 

The Vercton threw back its head and released a bizarre noise somewhere between a roar and a gurgle. The sound vibrated inside Tayne's skull, imparing his vision to the point where he almost missed the blindingly fast swipe as the tainted brought its demon-blood coated talons down.