twelve

CHAPTER TWELVE

CHAPTER TWELVE

One of the only days of the year my parents actually seem to care about me and not my grades is my birthday. I always get spoiled by them both each year more and more.

This year they had invited Grant's family over since they hadn't really caught up properly since they arrived and assumed I'd be okay with talking to Grant — obviously they had assumed right.

As I open the door to reveal a smiling Grant and his parents, I am forced into a bone crushing hug by his mother and greeted by multiple happy birthdays.

"Thank you!" I smile and they hand me small, wrapped up boxes and I set them down with a few other presents. Grant waits for his parents to walk into the kitchen before handing me his present.

"Don't open it until after all of your other presents," He smiles and I nod, setting it down before he pulls me in for a hug. "Happy birthday, Mollie."

I smile, "Thank you."

He pulls away and slips his hand into mine, surprising me as he guides me to my front room.

"Dinner will be done too, you two," My mother announces and claps her hands. "How about we put on a film?"

"That sounds like a great idea!" Grant's mother, Maurice, agrees. "What would you like to watch, Mollie?"

"Um, I don't mind," I shrug.

"We all know you're dying to watch Pitch Perfect," Grant smirks as he walks to the film cabinet and pulls out the film. "Shall we?"

"I'll microwave some popcorn," My mother grins as Grant puts the film in. Everything seemed so happy and joyful for once in this household, and I try and enjoy it as much as I can.

When Grant sits next to me and gives me a smile, I pull my legs up. Something just felt missing today and I couldn't put my finger on it.

Maurice walks in with a whine bottle and Grant rolls his eyes, "Mom, isn't it a bit early to be drinking? It's not even one in the afternoon yet."

"You're right" Maurice nods and puts the wine bottle down. "How about we open presents?"

"I thought we were watching a film?" Grant rolls his eyes, muttering something along the lines of his nothing being indecisive.

"It can wait!" His mother grins and grabs the presents and places them in front of me. My parents walk in a moment later and sit down with Grant's parents.

"Wait one moment," I pick out the present Grant gave me. It was different from all the other presents because it had a purple wrapping paper that he'd used for as long as I can remember. "Give me this last."

"Okay," A smile plays at his lips and I begin unwrapping presents. I got some pandora rings, some more jewellery, the Aladin box set (my favourite Disney Movie) and a lot of money.

Finally, Grant passed me the box in his hand, instructing me to open it carefully and I do. A white box flickers into sight as I begin unwrapping the purple paper carefully.

"Oh my God!" I grin, tearing off the last part finally. "An iPhone?! That's amazing!" I wrap him in a tight hug and he laughs.

"I knew your phone was wrecked so I got you a new one," He shrugs and I shake my head.

"How much did this cost you? I know iPhone 8's aren't cheap," I gawk, feeling spoilt. I had an iPhone 5, so this is a huge upgrade.

"Don't worry about it," He grins. "Happy birthday."

"Thank you so much!" I thank him again and again until I have to tidy the paper up so we can watch the film.

This is the best birthday ever so far.

⧫ ⧫ ⧫

"Woah, what's that for?" Grant pulls back his hand as I suddenly bring my phone back.

"I don't want you touching my phone until after I've took the protective plastic off," I poke my tongue out. "Incase you take it off."

"Right, sorry," He chuckles and I smile at him, putting the phone into the box so I can unwrap my charger. "You do. know it comes already charged, right?"

I pause my actions and then put the plug and wire into the box again, "I know." He winks at me and I roll my eyes before going through the settings with Grant.

"Well, now you're set up, I gotta go home," He grins and I nod.

"Thank you for the phone," I say as I walk him to the door. Our parents are already at his car. "And for keeping me company as well."

"No problem, Mollie," He nods and wraps me in a quick hug before releasing me. "I'll see you at school, then."

"Yep! I guess you will," I laugh awkwardly and he walks down my porch and to his parents' car.

When my parents come back up they send me to bed and I take a shower, freshening up, and climb into bed, downloading necessary apps. Then I get a message off a random number and I assume it's Grant.

unknown: hey x

me: who is this??

unknown: haven't we already been through this, little stalker?

me: oh it's you

brad: how come you didn't know it was me

me: new phone

brad: oh well that's cool. are you free tomorrow?

me: now you ask, suddenly I have plans :)

brad: ouch. I'll pick u up at 8PM x

me: urgh do I have to

brad: trust me, you'll love it

me: what's "it"?

brad: you'll find out tomorrow. get some sleep now

highkey a Short filler chapter but I had a writers' block and then I had an idea and I couldn't fit it in this chapter but thank u so much for 1K views and all the votes! It's great to know y'all are enjoying my book.