five

CHAPTER FIVE

CHAPTER FIVE

It was eleven at night when I heard a rustling noise outside my porch. I've always felt wary about having it incase I was murdered because they walked in through the porch door, and right now my heart was pounding more than when I got sent out earlier.

I shoot up, scared for a moment, and then there a strangled scream which alarms me and I jump out of bed and peep out of the window, to see a pair of hands dangling on the bar.

I step back, grabbing a baseball bat that my dad gave me when I was younger — I used to love playing baseball. Carefully, I open the porch door slowly and step out, making little to no sound.

"Who's there?" I whisper-shout, in hope I don't wake up my parents and the intruder hears me. "I have a baseball bat and I will swing your head off! I used to play baseball, trust me, I'm very capable of–"

"It's Grant! Help me up!" He says, his voice strained, probably from dangling from my porch.

Grant. Why is the name familiar?

Reluctantly, I set the baseball down and look over my porch to see an old friend. Grinning, I yank his hands and pull him up and he ends up falling on top of me.

"Shit! Sorry, Moll," He chuckles and I hold back a laugh. He rolls off of me and we both sit up. Suddenly, I engulf him in a bone crushing hug, and he wraps his arms around me.

Pulling away, my grin grows. "I haven't seen you since you moved to Hawaii! What are you doing here?!"

"My dad's contract ran out and we kinda had to move back," He shrugs and I smile. "Oh, and it's nice to see you too."

"You know I was serious about swinging your head off, right?" I warn and he holds his hand up in surrender.

Unfortunately, the bang that me and my old best friend made, my parents were woken up, concerned and angry when they walked in to find me and Grant on the floor.

"What the hell is going on here?!"

⧫ ⧫ ⧫

It's Tuesday, my first day of officially being grounded, and my parents were not very happy with me. They weren't showing it, but I could tell — for example my dad left early and gave me some money to take the bus, which he has only ever done once because he had to go to London for work.

Then, my mum didn't pack me a lunch, which she always does because I'm terrible at making sandwiches, which means I couldn't take a lunch to school.