Paper Swan

He stood me up, didn't he?

He left me here in a fancy restaurant, all by myself. With my little black dress, a menu that looks like it was written in another language and a candle shedding light on the lady who got stood up.

I fiddle with the napkin between my fingers as I look around the restaurant. At all the families and business meetings that are held here. And most of all?

The couples.

You know what we don't have in common? Their date actually showed up!

I don't know what to do.

Should I pretend to wait? To look busy, and go through my phone? Or should I leave?

After two hours you'd think I would've left by now.

But no, I'm still here, absentmindedly folding the napkin in all different ways. Holding onto that glimmer of hope that he'll show up.

"Excuse me miss, would you like to order?"

I look up at the polite waiter, he probably thinks I'm some poor sap who was ditched by her date.

Oh my god, I'm a poor sap who's been ditched by my date!

"No, no. I'm just gonna go."

"Are you sure?"

"Yeah, I should get home now."

The waiter looked at me. He looked at me like he new what happened, but it wasn't sympathy. No, it was empathy. Like he had been stood up as well.

"You sure? Can I at least buy you a drink?"

I took a breath and looked at the door.

Still no one.

I mean, I might as well...

"Yes, thank you"

I followed him to the bar, I might as well get a free drink. Especially since I'm all dressed up.

I left the table leaving behind the napkin. That I, without realising it, created a swan shaped sculpture out of a napkin.

Huh, never knew I could do that...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi, this is a short story I came up with randomly. Thought I would share it. Check out my other stories if you like, and feedback is much appreciated😊