Doors

Valor

Mama and Papa took to Kris immediately and he transitioned into meeting my family so naturally. I couldn't believe how... right it all felt.

"So how are you liking the weather over here?" Papa directed his question toward Kris.

"I've honestly never seen so much snow in my life. I'm used to how windy Chicago can get so the cold doesn't bother me much, but the cold out here... it really bites you," Kris answered.

He must have really loved Mama's blueberry pancakes because he was on his fifth one. It had already been a few days since we got here and Kris had become no stranger to helping my parents around the house and the property. In fact, I hadn't really gotten any alone time with him at all since we made it home and that was more than okay. He was purposely showing me that he was very interested into getting to know my family.

"So I was thinking since Kris was going to help you and Everett out on the property, I was going to take Hanna out shopping. Spend some time with her and what not," I told Papa.

It still felt kind of weird talking about her, but I was more than okay with being around her. I obviously had Kris to thank for that because he just makes me want to become a better person.

"Well that sounds like a great idea," Mama nodded enthusiastically.

Kelsey decided to head to her parents' house for the day so it would just be Hanna and I. We would meet up later on. The last time I got the chance to spend a happy day with Hanna was a time I couldn't really remember. I excused myself from the table, but not before I gave Kris a quick kiss. On my way to my room I ran my fingertips along the ship lap walls of the hallway, admiring the pictures that hung on them for the millionth time. Every monumental moment of my life was on display.

Mama and Papa left my room just as it was when I moved out. All of the furniture was still here and some of my clothes were still in my closet. I got out of here so quick months ago I didn't bother trying to pack a full suitcase. I did realize just how much I missed my bed. What I didn't realize was that Kris was going to ruin my vacation by being a complete gentleman and decide to room with Everett. I think he was a little terrified of attempting to share a bed with me in the same house as my parents, but he was just being respectful.

As I changed out of my pajamas in favor of a casual outfit, Mama took a step into my room.

"Hello sweet girl," she smiled.

"Hey Mama," I smiled back at her, slipping my beanie on.

"I don't mean to pry, but are you ready to go see her by yourself?" she questioned.

"I think I'm more than ready," I answered assuringly.

"So that's it... you're really over it all." Another smile was starting to creep at the corners of her mouth.

"Yes, completely. I now know what it is to feel a love so strong and so deep it has completely eclipsed my relationship that I had with Jake."

"It's love?" Mama looked like a kid in a candy store and the mention of it.

"I really feel it, and I think he does too," I nodded.

Mama didn't say anything after that, but she kept smiling at me like she knew something that I didn't.

"Well I have to step out to get groceries. If you need anything at all don't ever hesitate to call me," she offered.

"Smooth sailing, it'll be smooth sailing," I repeated.

I heard shuffling coming from down the hallway and Mama did her best to yelp silently with delight before letting Kris into my room.

"Careful, you're entering dangerous waters coming into my room," I joked.

"You're a grown woman, and as far as your father is concerned I didn't see anything." She casually stepped out and closed the door behind Her to give Kris and I some privacy.

"Hey you," I blushed.

"Hey yourself." He flashed his brilliant, handsome smile.

"Come lay with me for a while," I held out my hand.

"You don't have a while," he shook his head. "You've got a date to get to, and I don't trust myself alone with you like this." He teased me with the way he took a step closer to me and three steps back to admire the rest of my room.

"And just what is that supposed to mean?" I placed my hands on my hips.

"I can't really say." He took several steps toward me until I was forced to gaze up at his perfectly sculpted face. We were mere centimeters apart and all he could do was stare back at me in silence.

"I don't get you, before when you had me trapped in that closet with you and I had to escape before you could get your hands on me. Now you're playing games with me," I giggled.

In an instant he had his hands on my rear and hoisted me up so that we were finally eye level.

"Excuse you-" I started, but my protests were muffled with kisses. Kisses that I wasn't used to. And they were dangerous.

My heart was pounding in my chest as he walked us over and leaned me against my bedroom door. He didn't put me down when he finally pulled away.

"You're not ready for me," he shook his head playfully. "Not one bit. When I finally have you, it won't be like this. I'll make sure of it."

The way he bore his lustful eyes right into me I understood immediately what he had meant. My face had gotten so red and I squirmed to try and make him put me down. He had no intentions of letting go.

"I have a date," I said breathlessly.

"Oh now you have a date?" he laughed.

He mercilessly kissed my neck until I squealed for him to put me down. By that point I was so flustered I couldn't look at him without blushing. Even when he cupped my face in his strong hands I had to close my eyes to avoid his gaze. Kris knew I was hideously embarrassed so he didn't poke fun at me.

"Again with the doors," he sighed.

"Oh hush," I hit him playfully before making a swift run for it out of my room.