Balsam and Brews

Kris

Sleeping last night wasn't a luxury I could afford. Between the bruise on my ribs and the events that occurred, I just couldn't close my eyes. It worried me to watch Valor toss and turn, stuck in some nightmare she felt like she couldn't get out of. Eventually her breathing evened out and she fell soundly to sleep. I kept a candle burning all night and watched the shadows from the flames dancing all along these four walls and ceiling.

The hotel was just some giant bed and breakfast that someone renovated. I admired that they were still able to keep the charm and the building's history intact. If I could be honest, I prefer the more luxurious route when I'm staying somewhere, it's my secret guilty pleasure. This place seemed more like Valor's cup of tea so I went with it.

The sheets were so soft and the pillows so plush I decided that I could stay here all day if she let me. The candle had finally burned through just before the sun rose and reflected through the windowpane onto Valor's face, kissing her with light. Watching her sleep peacefully made me think of what could possibly be ahead for us. I knew it was still early in the game, but this was so real for me I was scared my impatience would get the best of me and I would push this too fast.

"Are you staring at me?" she mumbled.

"Hmm?" I smiled.

Her tired eyes fluttered open and I couldn't help but sigh blissfully at how adorable she was.

"Are you staring at me?" she smiled tiredly as she asked me again.

"Babe I'm always staring at you," I chuckled.

"Fair enough, I may stare a lot when it comes to you too," she nodded, burying her face into her sleeve.

She took a peak at me and I watched as she scanned the planes of my chest and abdomen. I knew exactly what she was looking at, and that was my own fault. I caught the blush in her cheeks and pulled her close to me.

"Sorry I had to take my shirt off cuz I was getting too warm last night," I explained.

"Yeah sure you did," she giggled that way that she did when she was nervous about something.

She looked up at me and something in her eyes was different. She was looking at me in a way that she never did before, sending chills down my spine. Before I could object to anything her lips greeted mine gently, until our kisses strengthened into something else entirely. I turned her onto her back, parting her legs just so I could get a little bit closer to her. Her hands caressed my face, danced all through my hair, and trailed down my back.

I broke away for just a moment and looked right into her eyes, and I realized just how scared I really was.

"I'm sorry," she smiled bashfully, covering her face.

"Believe me there is nothing for you to be sorry about," I shook my head.

I sat up and she joined me in my lap, wrapping her arms around my neck and kissing me just below my ear. For a while we didn't speak, and that was okay. It wasn't until her phone started to ring that we were pulled out of our lazy morning haze.

"Don't worry, I got it," I looked at her.

It was just Papa so I handed the phone to her.

"Hi Papa," she smiled. "No I'm okay, I got some sleep last night. Yeah of course. We'll see you soon," she nodded.

"He just wanted to see if we were up to meeting him for breakfast," she explained.

"Yeah of course, go hop in the shower I'll lay some clothes out for you," I smiled at her.

"Oh yeah? You're going to dress me?" she smirked.

"I think I have you pinned down with your scarves and shades of red and all that, just go take a shower I'm about to change your whole life with my outfit coordinating skills," I laughed at her.

She finally got into the shower and didn't come out of the bathroom for a while, as she was doing her hair and whatever else women do when they're in the bathroom. I went to work finding some clothes for her and laying out my own so that I could hop into the shower.

"Well would you look at that, you really know what you're talking about," she smiled before kissing me. "Thanks honey."

I was cheating, I just picked out my favorite outfit that she wore. She didn't have to know that right?

We finally made it downstairs for breakfast and Valor finally looked like she felt normal again.

"Sheriff Carson is still checking some stuff out at the house but he's gonna let us know when it's safe to go back," Papa explained.

"Hey Valor you know what today is right?" Everett asked from across the table.

"The Balsam and Brews Festival," she answered in an excited tone.

"Oh man, I completely forgot!" Kelsey smiled.

"Now the whole family is here, I think it would be fun," Mama looked right at me.

I could never get over how grateful I was that they were so welcoming of me into their hearts and into their home. Meeting Valor was a god send, I firmly believed that. The kind of family she had was something you'd only find in a movie, flaws and all.

I was excited to see what this festival was all about. I didn't have stuff like that back home or even in Chicago. Don't get me wrong, Vegas was beautiful with its scenery alone, but it definitely wasn't cozy. In Chicago I have an apartment in the heart of the city, and that wasn't very cozy either. I knew leaving this place in a few days was going to make me feel a little sad, but I knew I would definitely be coming back in the future.

Especially if I was going to formally ask Valor's parents for their blessing.

Notes from me to you:
It's been a minute! I finally got married and moved with my husband to his first duty station... in Las Vegas of all places! The heat is no joke out here. Anyway, I hope you enjoyed this chapter, even if there wasn't a lot going on. ❤️