"Yes, mother," I replied and continued eating.

Weren't they here yesterday? Didn't they have better things to do, like, maybe lead a country?

I excused myself from the table when I was finished and walked back to my quarters for lessons.

Isn't it funny how I was only escorted when I had to be somewhere at a certain time?

Today we were learning about political alliances. Snore.

Mrs. Bruns was my lessons teacher. She was a stout lady with a head full of gray hair. And she was always wearing a hoop skirt. I mean, come on, those were so ten years ago.

Today, she chose a red paisley pattern that resembled the curtains in the room. Her circular glasses were perched at the end of her nose when I walked in. She smiled and gestured to the cushiony armchair next to her.

As questionable as her fashion choices were, she was a lovely lady. She and I had the best conversations about books and authors, a passion we both had in common. Mrs. Bruns could always find something interesting in the topics she was required to teach.

Most importantly, she was like the mom I never had. She would always be there to listen to my problems and offer solutions. I valued her opinion more than any other adult's in the castle.

The sunlight coming in from the windows lit up the papers she had set out on the desk. My lessons were all oral, meaning I didn't have to write anything down.

She began talking about the meaning of an alliance, as well as all the things it entitled.

I tried to focus, I really did, but my chin ended up in my hand. My eyes wandered out the window and out to the courtyard. The fountain in the middle was sparkling in the sunlight. The cone shaped trees were trimmed to perfection. A feeling of serenity washed over me, calming me, while the quiet drone of Mrs. Bruns' voice played like background music.

"Understand?" She asked and peered up at me from over her glasses. I snapped out of my daze.

"Yes, completely, of course," I stammered.

"You didn't listen to any of that did you?"

"Nope. Not a word," I laughed.

"Alliances are good if they are formed with the right person, so be careful in making them. You never know what the other side's true intentions are. That's the most important part to take out of this," she explained.

"Sounds good. Anything else for today?" I asked.

"Not from me, but I heard Mrs. Petra is coming in for etiquette today," Mrs. Bruns said, earning a groan from me.

She laughed and stood from her chair.

"Well, I'll be off dear. Enjoy your day."  Mrs. Bruns hobbled out of the room, leaving me with one last swish of her skirt before she disappeared from view.

I sighed and got up from my own chair. The walk back to my room was silent, just me and my heels clicking down the hall. Of course, this was normal. I was always alone. But for some reason, I felt even more so isolated from everyone. Being a princess meant that I was hidden away from the world until I had to make an appearance for political means.

I was never allowed to be myself, always a shell of a person that I didn't want to be. Always someone that other people needed me to be. I am so sick of being kept inside this castle. Nineteen years and I have never left the castle grounds. Never.

Little girls send me letters all the time saying that they want to be a princess when they grow up, but little do they know, I would do anything to be one of them. I would give up the gowns, the servants, the crown in a heartbeat if it meant a glimpse of freedom.