T H I R T Y O N E

Start from the beginning

"Thank you," I say to Michael, my voice slightly breaking. I look up to keep myself from getting teary, but this is so kind of him. And to think he is leaving tomorrow, because I have been such a terrible friend. He still does this for me.

"Don't thank me, this was all Niall's idea," he says, nodding towards him.

"Thank you," I repeat, and he smiles brightly. Wow, I feel relieved. I thought today was going to be miserable.

Niall walks out first and holds the door open when we finally arrive at the tall grey building. A swarm of paparazzi gathers around us, yelling, screeching as their flashes goes off hundreds of times a second. The body guards push the crowd at a safe distance, but there are hands dragging me in every direction before my hand brushes against Niall's. Almost like a reflex, I grab it and hold onto it, and he leads me into the building, Michael following with.

"Whew, that was a struggle," Niall exhales as the doors close behind us. Michael smiles weirdly at me and I realize that I'm still holding Niall's hand.

"Sorry," I mutter as my cheeks redden, and Niall offers a gitty smile.

"No worries," he says, and leads us to the reception.

"Private tour for three, under Horan." He leans his arm on the counter, taking off his sunglasses with the other. He wears a blue denim jacket, a loose white t shirt and a pair of black jeans ripped at the knee. He looks really good.

"Right this way," the lady at the reception smiles, walking to the front and leads us to an elevator. She presses the button and it opens instantly, and we get inside. It feels like it goes 100 miles an hour as it elevates from the ground, taking us up to the top floor. The ding makes my stomach flutter, and it twists with adrenaline when the door slides open and I see the breathtaking view.

 The ding makes my stomach flutter, and it twists with adrenaline when the door slides open and I see the breathtaking view

"Oh my god!" I squeal, covering my mouth with my palm, my eyes widening at the landscape. I don't think I've ever been this high up before.

A moment of silence passes as I approach the window, and I stare down at the buildings. They all seem so little from up here.

"Amazing, isn't it?" Niall approaches my side, and I nod. Somehow, being up here, away from my current life, it's allowing me to breathe properly.

I notice Niall's smile in the corner of my eye, as I lean my forehead against the glass. I close my eyes for a second, breathing deeply. The glaring light from the sun creates a warm, yellow color when I close my eyes. Each time I open my eyes, my gut fills with butterflies. I've always loved extraordinary views.

By accident, me and Niall's hand brush against each other, as we both stare at the view. A foreign rush of serenity pulses out from my chest, and I feel calm for the first time... since I can remember.

A good 30 minutes pass of just staring at the traffic, central park, the people walking around, the sun becoming brighter. My situation with Harry becomes more distant every second, and weight is lifted off my shoulder when I realize; If I want, I could feel like this all the time.