Chara frowned. "But Asri-"

"Dr. Gaster, watch out!" Asriel interrupted. Gaster turned around and quickly dodged an obviously late student running to class. He gave a little smile.

"I suppose it would be best if I watch where we are going," he said, then looked at a few of the doors' numbers before walking again. "You were saying, Chara?"

"Asriel's a boss monster," Chara pointed out. "That's different."

Gaster nodded. "Yes, this is true. If you two were older, we would not be able to do this experiment. However, from what your parents have told me, there are very few differences between a child monster and a child boss monster. So, since you are both young, he is able to be used as the control." He stopped to examine another door number, then smiled at the two children. "Here we are. Follow me."

He opened the door and ushered the two in, then looked up. The room was large, and very sterile, with a few medical instruments on nearby tables. Most notably, though, was the large machine in the back of the room, humming quietly. A cat monster was fiddling with the large control panel next to it, and she looked up as she heard the door open.

"Dr. Gaster!" she said brightly as she walked over. "Oh, I am so glad to finally meet you!" She quickly took his hand to shake; Gaster grimaced slightly as he caught the quick glance to the hole in his hand. However, her attention was quickly diverted to the two children. "And these must be the Dreemurr kids! Pleased to meet you two as well. I'm Dr. Felis, head of the biology department here at the University."

"It looks like a hospital," Chara said bluntly as Asriel shook Dr. Felis' hand. She gave them a smile.

"Well, yes. You see, we study monsters' bodies, so it's necessary to have it be a little medical. Though it is a little too white in here for my taste."

Chara gave a little nod, and Asriel pointed to the machine in the back.

"What's that?"

"That is why we are here," Gaster said with a wide smile. Felis nodded.

"What we have here is the first of its kind," she said, guiding them over to the machine. "We call it a Soul Level Scanner, or the SLS. What this machine does is scan deep inside you so we can look at your Soul."

Chara frowned. "Why would you want to do that?"

Felis gave them a bright grin. "Well, if we can peek into someone's Soul, then we can get a read of how strong they are, how healthy they are, and what condition their Soul is in." She grabbed a black and white sheet off of a nearby table, holding it up. "Here, this is the reading from one of our students." She pointed at the white heart in the middle of the sheet. "This is what his Soul looks like. And here..." She pointed to the numbers on the side of the sheet. "...are his 'stats'. You see, his health is at 40, and his strength and defense are both at 12."

Chara pointed at the 1 at the bottom of the sheet. "What's that fourth number?"

"Why, that's something we call 'Level of Violence'. We...still haven't quite figured out how to measure that, but that refers to the state of the Soul. Souls can change if you get too violent, and we're figuring out how to measure that change."

Gaster nodded, hands moving impatiently. "Yes, yes. Now, I have brought you both out here so we can scan your Souls, just in case there is any difference between them."

Both Chara and Asriel looked apprehensive, and Asriel took Chara's handbefore he looked up at Felis.

"Will it...will it hurt?" he asked in a very small voice. Felis shook her head with a smile.