Eight

PHIL'S POV

"So wait," I stared at him in disbelief, "You've never seen a horror movie?" We were sitting at lunch together.

He looked down at his feet, "I just don't see why you would intentionally scare yourself. It's not a pleasant feeling."

"That's it, you're coming to mine tonight, and we're watching the Shining."

I saw him twiddling his thumbs under the table, "I dunno, it's a school night, and I got all of homework, an-"

I cut him off, "Dan it's Friday." I bat my eyelashes, "Alec's going to a sleepover so he's out of my hair tonight anyway."

He rolled his eyes, "What about your parents?" He laughed.

"Um...not a problem. Pretty please?"

"Let me text my mum." He sighed in defeat.
~~~~~~~~~~~
"Um...so we need to pick up my brother first, if you don't mind." He was at my locker as I put my books in my bag.

"No-not at all! I'd love to meet him." He reassured, adjusting his flower crown.

We walked in silence to elementary school. The weird thing was, I didn't feel the need to fill it. I felt comfortable with him. Safe and natural. Once we arrived I received judgmental looks, only more than usual because of my current companion.

"Phil, I'm not six anymore." Alec said as he approached us, "I can get myself home."

"Now's not the time Al." I gestured to Dan, trying to hid the hurt in my eyes. The bus ride home was our thing.

"Wowza." He stared at Dan. "Why is a guy like you friends with my brother?" I smacked Alec playfully on the arm.

"Well, I figure he needs a little softness to balance out is 'edge.'" He said with air quotes.

"This is cyber bullying" I mumbled as we walked towards the bus station.
~~~~~~~~~~
"I'm sorry no," Dan shook his head in disbelief. "There's no way in hell Gretto shot first!" Turns out he's a massive Star Wars geek like Alec.

"Replay the clip! He did!" Alec cried as I unlocked the apartment door.

"Hon shot first. George Lucas said so-I think." I gestured for them to enter.

"Yes, yes pew pew guns. Al go get your overnight bag and wait in the lobby for Evan's mom." He sighed and trudged into the bedroom. "As for you, nerd" I gestured to Dan. "The lounge is this way. What do you like on your Pizza?" I lead him into our small lounge that had a big, saggy couch, a small TV and a stack of DVDs that would probably crush you to death if it were to fall over.

"Pepperoni, I guess. I'm good with what ever you like though." He's so sweet

"Peppero-"

"I'm leaving!" Alec called.

"Kay, love you! Call me if you need anything!" I yelled back.
I heard the door close.

"As I was saying, pepperoni it is."
~~~~~~~~~
Shit this movie is scary. I forgot how much I hate scary movies!

"Philly?" Dan inquired. "You good?" His voice was calm and steady. How was he just okay?

"I-I'm fine" I drew a shaky breath.

"Oh no" he said sarcastically "I'm very scared all of the sudden. Guess I need you to hold my hand." I could tell he was trying to let me keep my dignity, and I appreciated that.

"Guess I will." I reached down and laced my fingers with his. I tried not to think to much about what this meant because then my hands'll get sweaty, but I knew whatever it was, I quite like it a lot.