Chapter 1: Supply Run

Beep. Beep. Beep.

My alarm was going off. I hit it to see it was only 7 in the morning. I rubbed my eyes and hopped out of bed. My sister, Rylee was still asleep in her bed. I walked over to the kitchen and opened the fridge. I took out the orange juice, and grabbed out a package of bacon and got some flour, baking powder, salt, sugar, eggs and milk. I began to make some pancakes, first mixing the dry ingredients and then the wet mixture.

I grabbed a pan and turned on the stove. I waited for it to heat up and then poured in the batter. I let it get a light color, and then flipped it. I made about 3 pancakes for us. I threw a few strips of bacon on the skillet, then set the pieces next to the pancakes. I walked over to our two beds, side by side. I tapped on her shoulder. As she opened her eyes, she smiled as she started to sit up in her bed.

“Good morning. I just made some bacon and pancakes.” I greeted.

“Okay.” She murmured while walking to the table. We both were eating our breakfast happily.

“I am planning to go on a supply run today, need anything?” I asked Rylee.

“Maybe a new book, I really want to read a new mystery or horror book.” Rylee replied.

“Okay, do you want Sherry to watch you while I’m out?” I questioned.

“I don’t need a babysitter anymore, even if I am 3 years younger, I’m still 13! Please Quinn!” She blurted.

“I know, but just, I don’t want you to be alone.” I reasoned.

“Fine.” Rylee nodded.

I smiled and then started to grab our dishes and wash them in the sink. Someone knocked on the door, then barged in. It was Negan, the guy with the baseball bat, the one next door, my dad. My dad walked in and leaned back, pushing his hands into his pockets.

“You need something dad?” I asked.

No, I’m good, but you are still going on the supply run, right? Because if so Amber needs to watch Rylee, I have to go pick up deliveries from Alexandria and Hilltop.” He said.

“Yeah, but can’t Sherry watch her?” I added.

“No, Quinn. Sherry is dead, Dwight watched it happen. Walkers tore her apart.” He whispered so only I could hear him.

I nodded. He left and I finished up with the last glass from  the dishes. After I finished, we went to get ready in the bathroom. I brushed out short, caramel hair. I brushed the brush through Rylee’s deep brown hair and braiding her locks into braids. We both brushed our teeth, Rylee went back to the beds to look through the dresser between the two beds. I stayed in the bathroom to do my makeup.

All I did was put on a bit of mascara, but as I put the mascara wand through my lashes, I thought of the luxury I had, the ones others didn’t. Maybe because I was Negan’s daughter, maybe it was the sanctuary I was at. Either way, It felt bad, I got to sleep in a comfortable bed with lots of pillows and blankets, most people were worrying about if they are going to live through the night. I got the bad thought out of my head and went to the other room.

My sister was already dressed, she had on a salmon colored shirt, jean shorts, a gray sweater, and some black and white Vans high tops. She looked really adorable. I grabbed out some clothes. I wore a navy blue shirt, jeans, and black converse. I threw on a white sweatshirt for warmth.

I grabbed a black jansport and threw it on my back, throwing in a couple water bottles, some food, and any emergency supplies. I put my gun and knife on my waist. We walked out of our room, heading over to Amber’s place. Rylee walked in and immediately began reading a book. I hugged her and then left, a single tear streamed down my face.

I walked out the walls of the Sanctuary and walked and walked hoping to come to a store soon. I walked on a road, it almost felt never ending. I eventually found a gas station store, but it was mostly empty. The only thing I found was a pack of Doritos in the flavor nacho cheese. I left the store and continued to walk and eat down the endless road.

It was getting a bit hot for a jacket, so I took it off and kept walking. The sweat decorated my face with highlights. Walking and walking. I was beginning to give up when I saw a store, it was a normal store. It was a Walmart. It had lots of things still in it, which really surprised me. I found canned and bagged food. A couple bottles of various medicines, and a couple of cute t-shirts. I saw the sky getting a bit darker, I checked my watch, it was already 4:47 and I didn’t want to walk home in the dark, I really had to get back.

I went back on the road, walking for about an hour when I saw a couple walkers coming my way, and decided it would be best to just go through the woods. There was a messed up walker stabbed into the stomach, keeping it stuck in the tree. At the walker’s feet there was a book. It dawned on me now that I forgot to get Rylee a book. I picked up the book and read the back to see if it was a mystery or horror. It was a good mystery book, I threw it in my bag. The book was Wish You Were Dead and it looked super interesting, I might even read it.

I felt a jerk to my body feeling my face hit the leaves on the ground. I looked up and saw a walker on top of me. I pushed it up, but couldn’t get away from it. I struggled holding it away from my neck. I couldn’t reach my knife and wondered how long I would have the strength to hold it up.

All of a sudden, the walker stopped. Something pushed the walker off of me. A boy about my age was standing above me. He somehow seemed like a familiar face, but I couldn’t remember how. He had brown eyes, like me, long brown hair, an eyepatch, and a sheriff's hat.