Chapter 3

Kane

The team tells me through the mind link that we need to brief her on the case and the best place is the clubhouse. Although, no one other than the team has been there, they argue that she is part of the team for now and it is the best place to speak without anyone else overhearing. I agree, but I don't like it. There is something off about Ava and I am going to get to the bottom of it. She says she hides her scent, but how? Why? She is in a pack of wolves, it's not like she smells any different than the rest of us. We all are quiet as we walk to the clubhouse and when we go inside, she lets out a low whistle. 

"Nice, boys. Now, what do you have. The Agency gave me a small file, but I want to know what you know. This is your pack and you know it better than anyone." Everyone but Ava takes a seat and Andy brings up the info on the screen. She steps forward, absorbing all of it. She reaches into her bag and pulls out a tablet and furiously taps away on it. Andy's jaw drops."Where did you get that? It's beautiful." She chuckles, "I built it. I needed something that could handle me and nothing on the market could." She hands it to Andy, "Take a look." With a look of awe, Andy taps away. His face is pure joy as he hands it back to her. "You are amazing, could you maybe help me build my network up and fine tune my system?" Ava smiles warmly at him and it makes my chest throb. "Of course." 

Just like that, she has won over Andy. "OK, so it seems that your pack mates are disappearing without a trace, but that is impossible, so take me to the first site and I will see if I can pick up on anything." Greg sighs, "I have been all over it and so has many wolves, even if there was a scent, it would be long gone, it's been two months since the first case." She shakes her head, "Nothing is ever truly gone." With a shrug, we head three miles to the first scene. She walks over the land, breathing deeply, "I need to shift, my senses are sharper in my wolf form." She shifts and it is fast and more flawless than I had ever seen. Standing there is a small, light brown wolf with almost glowing green eyes. With her nose to the ground, she covers the area.  With a huff, she shifts back, completely clothed. We are all standing there in shock, "What the fuck?" Blade whispers. She turns to Greg, "You couldn't smell it because it was hidden by magic. We are dealing with fucking witches." She grumbles and Greg's eyes widen. "How?" She sighs, "Smell my clothes, then the area again." Greg shifts and sniffs her before pushing his nose to the ground. 

His eyes widen and he shifts back, naked as the day he was born. "You are a witch?" She laughs, "No, dummy, my clothes were enchanted, so I can not be naked, like you are right now." He blushes and grabs a pair of shorts from the tree and throws them on, "Your nose is incredible." And just like that, she won over Greg. She looks around and her eyes land on mine. "I need to go to my place, it's about ten miles north of here. I have things that will help us track the witches." I nod, "We will go with you." She looks at me and sees  that I don't trust her and nods, "Fine, let's go." We head back to the Suburban and she gives Blade directions to her place. 

The house is just off pack lands, in unclaimed territory. I have seen it a thousand times, but never paid attention to it. It's a small white home with blue shutters. We walk up behind her as she scans her eye to enter. "Follow me and don't touch anything." She says as we enter the home. The inside is nothing like the outside, it's clean and simple, but has a lot more room than I thought. She walks back into a back bedroom and grabs a book off of a bookshelf, but it doesn't come all the way out, she scans her eye again and the wall opens, leading to a metal staircase. She turns and looks at us,"Well, come on." 

We follow her down three flights of stairs and as she steps off the last step, the room lights up and Joey about faints. It's a weapons room. State of the art, modern room with metal walls and shelves. "This is the real home. The house is more of a decoy. Down here is a bomb shelter, with several bedrooms and bathrooms and enough food and supplies to last your entire pack for six months. Jonah and I have these all over the world, it's a secret, but it's for your protection. This room here is the weapons room. Joey, feel free to look around. I need to the library, I took some dirt samples and I need to know who is pulling the strings."  Joey is staring in awe, "I have never seen some of these weapons." She smiles, "That is because they are my own design. I built them." And just like that, she won Joey over. 

We follow her down a hallway to a large library, there have to be thousands of books here. She doesn't hesitate, she walks to a shelf and pulls a huge book off and carries it to the table in the middle of the room. "Take a load off, I need to find the right spell to figure out who's magic this is." I furrow my brows, "I thought only witches could do magic." She shakes her head as she flips to the page she needs, "Anyone can do it, if they know what they are doing. Every super has magic inside of them, it's just a matter of knowing how to use it." As she reads, I study her. She looks young, I am thirty-five, she can't be much older than twenty. How can she know so much?

Her eyes light up when she finds what she is looking for and places a tube of dirt on the table, popping off the lid. She begins to chant lowly and the dirt swirls and a red glow rises from it. The glow takes the shape of a bat. She curses under her breath and the glow fades. She slams the book closed and puts it back on the shelf before dropping into the closest chair and putting her head in her hands. "What is it, Ava?" Greg asks carefully. "Regina, it's her magic. I need to talk to your Alpha, he pissed off the wrong person."