Giant Problem

Ch. 20

Minos looked like he was at a loss for words.

Fortunately for him, Percy was there, and he rarely found himself in such a predicament.

"Right on schedule," he looked down at a watch he wasn't wearing. "Now that you've told me your flawed plan, it's time for it to be foiled, followed shortly by your death and the death of these monsters. And we'll cap the evening off with my stroll out of the maze in victory. I think that's it, did I miss anything?"

The former King of Crete's face turned an ugly shade of red, "It doesn't matter! Gaea will replenish the Earthborn ranks until you're both dead!"

Achilles raised his hand, waving it around like an impatient child. The strange action made Minos' face go blank as he just stared at the legendary hero, obviously confused about what he was doing.

"Yes," Percy said trying to sound formal. "Very good, Achilles. Minos, please raise your hand if you'd like to speak. It's not polite to speak out of turn."

Mino's opened his mouth but Percy held up his hand angrily.

"Excuse me, Minos! Achilles raised his hand, it's his turn to speak. Yes, Achilles?"

Achilles nodded, "Well, I just thought Minos should know, there's only about four feet of earthen ground under our feet. Below that, the ground is almost solid rock and it's filled with huge deposits of silver, gold and copper." He puffed out his chest, trying to make it look like he was proud of himself for knowing that.

Percy didn't miss a beat and clapped his hands together approvingly, "Well done, Achilles! Gold star for you today!"

Minos shook his head, clearing confused and annoyed at whatever foolish games they were trying to play.

"I don't care about that! You'll..." He was cut off by Achilles who tutted his finger at him admonishingly.

"Well, you should..."

"Wha..." Minos was cut off by Percy this time who had quickly gone from defeated to almost gleeful, enjoying the playful banter with Achilles.

"Gaea is the Earth," he conceded. "But as a demigod yourself, Minos, you should know that Hades controls the precious metals under the earth. And while Gaea might be much stronger, in her little slumber, my father is going to make it quite difficult for her to keep summoning her little monsters."

MInos narrowed his eyes but they briefly flitted towards the floor like he was suddenly questioning whether he had the backup he thought he did.

"Kill them!" He snarled at the Earthborn, who had been listening quietly while the mortals spoke.

Percy had to admit, for evil monsters, they had surprisingly good manners.

Then the compliment was forgotten as their hands sprouted a mix and match of sharp rocks and stalked towards them, totally ruining the thought of their politeness.

"Huh," Percy said glancing at Achilles and pulling out Anaklumos, which had returned to his pocket. "While that was fun for a minute, I'm missing the part where you joining me here makes me any less screwed."

Achilles laughed and pulled the shield from his back, crouching down as the monsters approached.

"You've gotten so soft! There's only like forty of them. There's two of us, we can take em!" Achilles grinned, looking excitedly at the monsters. His sword arm twitched to attack but froze when a shadow passed over his head, making him straighten up and step back in surprise.