(5) before

Ah, high school

Ah, high school. How can I describe it? Truthfully, I have mixed feelings every time I look back to those days. I can't say it was great for me, but I can't say it was awful either. Perhaps the quote from The Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens would perfectly describe my high school days:

"It was the best times; it was the worst of times. It was the age of wisdom; it was the age of foolishness. It was the epoch of belief; it was the epoch of incredulity."

And it was the period of naivety and reckless adolescence. That's what youth is all about, I believe—jumping in headfirst without thinking through, seeing your future indefinite but limitless, taking the chances to make mistakes as many as you can to get them out of the way, and believing yourself as unconquerable.

I didn't look forward to high school the way my other classmates did. Another four years of sob-inducing lessons, stupid dramas, and limited freedom. Thinking it would be as bland as the small town I lived in, I decided to stick to the routine that I'd done in middle school: come in late, copy answers for homework, skip classes that I felt a waste of time to sleep, "paper due tomorrow? Let's do it tomorrow".

I went through the rebellious stage, you could say. My parents hardly recognized my hard work because they wanted me to be as smart and academically successful as my older sisters, so I had kind of given up on trying to please them. However, they really couldn't be mad at my negligence because I still passed my classes with okay grades. Charm, a confident voice, and a clever tongue could get you through many things.

During the morning of the first day of school, nothing significant took place as expected. I sat through four classes in a daze. I planned to ditch my afternoon classes because I knew they would just as be uneventful.

At lunch, however, something unexpected happened.

A brawl commenced between two senior guys, and the entire setting became like a wildlife show. People gathered around and cheered instead of taking action to stop it. You can't deny—all of us have this little dark desire to see chaos for enjoyment. At that moment, nothing was more engaging than seeing two best friends exchanged blows because one's girlfriend slept with the other.