September 2, 2016

I've spent the last few hours in the campus library, consumed in the book. Augustus asked where I was, and I told him to come find me, hoping he can act as a distraction.

"What are you working on now?" he asks, sitting down beside me.

"Oh, just another assignment for my Roman History & Culture class."

"Wow, that professor's working you pretty hard."

"This was actually a bonus assignment. He wanted me to research psychics for some reason."

"That's odd," Augustus says, and I agree with him.

"Oh well, this'll boost my grade even more. I can even go talk to Profeta again."

Augustus suggests we actually go and find her now, since the market is still set up. I realize I could probably use a break from sitting here all day and agree. We arrive at the market, and look around for her tent, but it's not in it's usual spot. We look around the entire market, but we can't find her anywhere. "This is weird, she's here almost everyday," Augustus point out.

"Yeah," I say, and check the time. "Well, I have to work soon anyway, so I better get going."

"Okay, I'll walk you back," Augustus offers.

After a few hours of another slow shift, I notice a women sitting in a chair in the corner. It's Profeta. I leave the cash register and go over to her. "Profeta, how are you? I came to see you today, but I couldn't find you."

"Hi, Alexandria. Unfortunately, I've become quite ill."

"Oh no. How ill?"

She pauses, looking me in the eye. "I'm dying, Alex"

"Wait, what?!" I stare at her in disbelief.

"Call it a psychic cold, if that makes you feel better." She lets out a sigh. "I'm just getting old. Don't worry too hard, dear. It's not worth it."

"But, Profeta, you're not even that old!"

"I'm older than I look."

I can't believe this. "Is there anything I can do for you? Anything at all?"

"No dear, I don't need anything. But I want you to listen very carefully."

I brace myself, expecting another eerie warning. "You are very cared for, Alexandria. Trust me on that. You are surrounded by those that love you, especially that boy. Hold on tight to these relationships, whether they're a lifelong friendship or a new romance. People come into you life for a reason. And please remember, love is truly the most powerful thing in the world. It will guide you when you need it." 

I start to feel tears welling up in my eyes, but hold them back, trying not to get too emotional. I help her stand up, and hold the door open for her as she leaves. I try to go back to work, but am lost in my thoughts for the rest of my shift.

***

When I get back to my suite, I call Augustus right away. "Augustus. You won't believe this."

"What is it?" he says, sounding worried.

"Profeta is dying."

"What!?"

"I saw her at Starbucks today. She's really sick, Augustus."

We decide to go visit her the next day. We  top at the market on the way, picking up some flowers and a bucket of fresh peaches. After asking around for a while, we manage to figure out where she lives. We find her small apartment, and knock on the door. "Profeta?" I call,  hoping she can hear me.