May 13, 1956

After some wandering, I find myself at the steps of the Vatican Library, and am complete awe to say the least. The huge marble doors, stretching nearly fifty feet, are framed by huge white pillars that meet to form a giant archway. I'm captivated by its beauty, and honestly a little intimidated to walk up the stairs, but I can't wait to see what's inside. The front doors are surprisingly heavy, and I have to use quite a bit of force to open them.

Once inside, I see a big mahogany desk in front of a balcony, with stairs leading down to a seating area that is surrounded by rows of tall bookshelves holding thousands of books, most of which have probably been here for centuries. I was hoping to talk to someone, but I don't see anyone around, so I just walk down to the seating area and sit on the red couch in front of the fireplace. I scan over the magazines sitting on the table in front of me, and pick one up that says "A Guide to Rome's Museum's." Exploring the museums is definitely something I want to do as well, so I guess it's a good idea to decide where to start. 

Not long after opening the magazine, I notice someone approach me. "Is there anything I can help you with, miss?" I look up to find a very attractive boy with golden-blonde hair, and the most amazing blue eyes I've ever seen. Barely able to speak properly, I reply with, "Umm, no thanks, I think I'm alright." 

"Okay. Can I get you anything? Would you like a coffee? We have the best in all of Rome," the boy smiles.

"Sure, that would be great." A few minutes later, he comes back and hands me the mug containing very rich-looking coffee. "I call it 'un cappuccino per la bella ragazza.'"

I laugh a little, and take the warm mug. "I'm Augustus, by the way."

"I'm Alexandria," I say, meeting his inviting blue eyes.

"So Alexandria, what brings you to the Vatican Library on a Saturday evening?" Augustus asks, curious. 

"I'm actually interested in getting a job here. My family just moved here from Verona, and my dad insists that I find something to do."

"Ooh Verona, the home of Romeo and Juliet," Augustus says passionately. "I've never been."

"You should go sometime, it's very nice," I say, and take a sip of the drink, which has a surprisingly nutty flavour.

"I could probably get you a job here pretty easily. The owner has known me for quite a while now," Augustus says.

"Thank you, that would be great!"

"So, what brings you to Rome?" Augustus asks.

"My dad was invited to help design and build the stadiums for the 1960 Olympic Games. He was the owner of an architecture company back in Verona," I say.

"Wow, that's very exciting. Have you been to Rome before?"

"I have, but not since I was little. My family is always pretty busy so we haven't had much time to travel. The last family trip we went on was to visit my grandparents in Greece when I was eight."

"And how old are you now, if you don't mind me asking?"

"20."

"What!? That's way too long!" Augustus exclaims.

"Tell me about it," I say rolling my eyes.

"Well, how about I show you around the city tomorrow? Since you probably don't remember much of it," Augustus offers.

"Sure, that would be great!" I say gratefully.

"How about tomorrow? Are you free?"

"Sounds good to me," I say, then notice the darkening sky out the window in front of me. "Oh, it's getting dark already! I need to start getting home," I say, standing up abruptly. 

"Okay. Do you want to meet back here tomorrow?" Augustus asks.

"Sure, sounds good," I say, starting to leave. "Oh, Augustus," I say, remembering what I was supposed to do. "Do you happen to know where I can find some good bread?"

"I do! In fact, I'll take you to the best bakery in all of Rome," Augustus says, and together we make our way to the library's front doors.