Part 1

Celestia: Many ponies have wondered, what secrets I hold deeply rooted in my past. Many only know of myself banishing my youngest sister to the moon for a thousand years, but it isn't the only thing I've regretted. I've made many mistakes, I've kept so many secrets, and now..., I must share this story before my time is up. I can't think of any ponies more befitting, more trusting than the four of you. (looks at Twilight, Sunset, Starlight, and Cadance) A long time ago..thousands of years, a war broke out among the ruthless dragon lord Hephaestus, he believed that dragons were superior to all other creatures, although they lived in peaceful times for a numerous amount of years; the ponies took it upon themselves to prevent the dragons from driving the Phoenix's to extinction. The dragons began to grow furious towards the ponies, and soon called to war against Equestria. They were ignorant to what they were doing. They were ruthless, merciless. Thousands of lives were lost, and it wasn't just ponies. Many other innocent creatures became victims of the brutal war. It was the greatest massacre ever seen in Equestrian history.

At the time the ponies were divided amongst their race; unicorn, earth, and pegasi

At the time the ponies were divided amongst their race; unicorn, earth, and pegasi. With them divided, the dragons had a better advantage. Eventually, the two unicorns who ruled Canterlot and governed the ponies, decided to take charge and unite each race. They combined their strengths, the power and magic of the unicorns, the speed and agility of the Pegasi, and the strength and knowledge of the land of the earth ponies. The two rulers names were King Astraeus and Queen Iris. The two powerful unicorns unified with the Crystal Empire in preparations to fight for our befallen brothers and sisters, to fight for peace and freedom.

Twilight: Who were the rulers of the Crystal Empire at that point of time?

Celestia: Their names were never revealed to me, they were forgotten, due to their great loss. All I know is that they had a son named Prince Cosmos, who is our father. The battle went on for many moons, many dragons and ponies died on the battlefield, although there was much to grieve it was no match for what was to happen later on. One early morning, the dragons were closing in on the Crystal Empire, the King and Queen panicked as they tried to figure how to protect their heir and their ponies. The majority of their guard went to Canterlot to defend that Kingdom, it was the heart of the dragon's attack. Nopony expected that they would switch their tactics, their plan was to take the kingdom, slaughter as many ponies...and use the Crystal Empire to force King Astraeus and Queen Iris to surrender.

Twilight: That's horrible!! What did the King and Queen do?