I sat there for a while longer until I heard leaves crunch behind me. Slowly I turned to see a great sooty brown wolf; Chev. It was strange to see a wolf carrying a pair of pants and when he walked away, I guessed that he was getting dressed.

“Who’s buried here?” He asked as he emerged from the trees and took a seat next to me.

“My uncle.” I said, staring at his tombstone. “Four years to the day.” I didn’t know why I didn’t tell him to leave, why I was telling him this; I guess that I just wanted to talk to someone.

He offered no shallow apologies and for that I was grateful. “It’s hard losing the ones we love but time heals all wounds and you begin to rebuild your life after they leave; you’re strong, I know you’ll get through this.” He paused as I thought over his words. “May I ask how he died?”

“He was murdered.”

I could feel his gaze on my face as I rested my chin on my knees. “Did they find who did it?”

“Depends who you ask.” I said bitterly.

“Who was it?”

I could lie, give him some obscure name but I was sick of the lying; I hated it. This was my friend, perhaps for not much longer though. “Me, at least, that’s who they blamed.”

“That’s not possible.” He said almost immediately. “I know you; you’re not capable of murder, especially not of someone you clearly loved.”

That’s not what they thought; his death ruined my life, in more ways than anyone could possibly imagine. I didn’t answer but instead I sat and stared at the gravestone.

“What was he like?”

 That question bought a smile to my face. “He was the most amazing man I’ve ever known; he was kind, caring, compassionate and moral, he helped those in need and never gave up on me, no matter what I said or did. He was my hero and I idolised him until the day he died.”

“He sounds a lot like you.”

I shook my head. “He was far better.” He stuck to his beliefs, no matter what it cost; compared to him I was weak.

“Evan! Cheveyo!” One of the younger wolves came running up the hill, starling the horses. “There are pack wolves looking for you!”

I stood as Chev growled. “Have they not learnt their lesson?”

James, the young wolf, shook his head and I could tell that he was scared. “No, these ones are different; they’re… dangerous.”

I had no idea what he meant; there were no other packs around here; at least, that’s what I’d been told. “Let’s go greet our visitors.” I said, mounting Obi.

-

I and Chev thundered into the yard where a crowd had gathered. Chev stopped first and dismounted as I surveyed the pack. There were at least thirty wolves, all fairly tall, muscular and intimidating; these men were not like the other wolves, I saw what James meant. In front of them stood a woman who was assessing me as I sized her up.

She was around my height, maybe a few inches taller, with short light brown hair and tanned skin. She stood like a soldier, she had the physic of one as well, and I knew that she was the one who commanded the men.

As my eyes wandered over the crowd, my gaze was drawn to a man standing near the front. He was taller than many of the others with thick black hair and olive skin; tall, dark and handsome. He was staring at me and I heard him growl as I dismounted Obi and tied his reins to the fence.