Chapter 1 : Survive

Jahlan.
"Harper stop dragging the bags" I said to my younger sister who was 10. "Jahlan they are so heavy" Harper whined. I just rolled my eyes and grabbed most of the bags from her. We was walking home from doing a little grocery shopping with the little stamps my mother had left. Barely had food in the house because drugs is more important to my mother she sells her stamps for money to buy drugs. So I always sneak the card whenever she was too high to notice and stocked up on groceries for my siblings and I. I always shopped smart, always used any coupons I could find. Using coupons always got us a little extra food. "Yo shawty let me holla at you!" yelled Rizzy from across the street. Rizzy was a big time drug dealer everybody in the hood always gave him respect. He was like an older brother to us always looking out making sure we had pocket money to buy clothes, supplies for school and whatever else we needed. Harper and I made our way across the street quickly before any cars came. "Hey riz" said Harper as she gave Rizzy a gigantic hug. "What's up bro" I said as I dapped Rizzy up. He pulled me into a hug "stop acting like that jah" I rolled my eyes he knew I hated that sap hugging shit. "So anyways what's up with y'all?" Rizzy questioned. "Shit had to get some groceries that fast food wasn't cutting it bro" I told Rizzy. He reached into his pocket and pulled out a wad of money wrapped with a rubber band and gave it to me. "You know Ima always have y'all Jah" Rizzy told me. "I know thank you so much, we really appreciate you" I had no choice but to give him a hug. "Make sure Hakeem and Jermaine staying out of trouble, had to rough up Jermaine ass last week heard he was trying to get into the game" I let out a loud sigh. Jermaine was 14 and swore up and down he was a damn thug. "I keep telling that little nigga focus on his school work and basketball" Jermaine was the nicest nigga on his Jv basketball team pretty sure if he keeps it up he'll get drafted straight outta high school.

--------------------------------------------
Later that night
Jermaine.
It was about 11:05 when I got home. Same shit different night moms laid out as usual and pops nowhere to be found probably next door fuckin Ms.Tina. Can't lie I wanted to tap Ms.Tina my damn self shit her daughter look good too. "Where you been nigga?" Jahlan questioned me. "Minding my business jah damn!" I brushed past my sister I loved her and always looked out for her but gahdamn she was so annoying. "Jermaine stop hanging out with those no good ass niggas you're better than that!" I understood where she was coming from but I had to protect them and getting into the game was the only way I could make it happen. She threw me some dough I almost gave it back but I needed that shit "thanks" I told her. "Don't thank me. Thank Rizzy" she said then went back into the kitchen. I went towards the small room I shared with my little brother Hakeem he was focused on the game he was playing so I didn't mess with him. As soon as I laid my head back on my bed I heard my little sister Harper. "Mommy you're hurting me!". I sighed "here we go with this shit, yo keem hide the game system" "fuck!" He said , "yo watch your mouth" I told him before leaving the room.

Jahlan.
"Mom get the fuck off of her!" I yelled , my mom was grabbing onto Harpers arm so tight and her eyes was blood shot red. She lost herself completely after my no good of a father came back into our lives, my mother used to be so beautiful with long pretty hair thick eyebrows smooth caramel skin and full nice lips. She was Trinidadian her accent was so thick and she was just so full of life was the best mother ever. Rodney our father was a no good ass man don't know why my mom took him back he abused her and had her strung out on drugs that made her always abuse us. "Mind your business bitch" my mom spat in my face usually I would feel hurt by her saying that but I got cold I was used to her talking to me like that. Jermaine tried pulling Harper away from my mom but she pushed him he didn't fall back like how she thought he would. "Y'all need to leave this between me and my daughter" Fallen said.  Harper just cried her arm started turning colors so I pushed my mom and she lost her grip on harpers arm Harper ran behind Jermaine . "What is it that you want Fallen?" I asked my mom calling her by her first name. She got up and slapped the shit out of me. "You little bitch hoe of a daughter I said mind yours, Harper owes me $30 from that damn field trip she went on" I sighed went to my room and got $30 out my stash and gave it to Fallen. "Here and leave Harper alone damn!" She grabbed the money and left out the apartment slamming the door making the picture of my siblings and I fall to the floor.

------------------------------------------------------
The next morning.
Jahlan.
It was Saturday morning and looked like it was going to be a hot ass day. I got up out my bed and seen that Harper wasn't laying in her bed. She probably at her friend Layla house. I went to knock on Hakeem and Jermaines door no response so I opened it. Of course they're gone. Wow finally had the whole house to myself. Didn't know what to do this lovely Saturday didn't hang out with nobody because all these bitches was fake and I damn sure didn't have no boyfriend because these niggas was grimy. So I figured I would go to the mall and pamper myself it was very much needed.

----------------------------------------------------
30 minutes later
Jahlan.
First store I was dying to go inside of was Victoria secret, I needed to rack back up on my panties and bras and I decided to cop me a a cute bralette and some jean shorts didn't want to over do it because all the money Rizzy gave me I been saving it all up. Been planning on getting my own place and taking my brothers and sister with me. Also been planning on getting us the fuck outta South Central ain shit here for us really wish we was living with our aunt Kellyan in San Francisco her and my mom never got along I believe my mom envied my aunt because she was so wealthy. My aunt loves us and always tried to be there for us but my mom didn't like her at all. "Hey love did you need help with anything?" Asked the pretty lady who worked at VS I smiled at her and told her "no I'm okay thanks though" she nodded and went about her business I decided to put back the bralette and shorts and went to grab me a few sprays and lotions that would benefit me more. I checked out, and decided to go get my nails and toes done. Grabbed me some chipotle and headed home...