Chapter One

Julio gave me the look that said run. I did, right into his arms. He lifted me up into the air and spun, slowly lowering me to the ground. As my feet landed, I went into my spin and end pose. The music faded away and Worant clapped.

"Beautiful- but not beautiful enough," he said from his chair in front of us. "Take it from the top one more time."

My name is Bri Gamets, and I'm one of the most famous dancers in the United States. I started dancing when I was five. I went to quiet a few studios and joined some dance teams before finding Worant when I was fifteen. He was there for my first televised  performance. It was a national competition, and I had a solo, (which I won) two triple dances, (second place for both) and one group dance (third place). Worant was one of the audience members, his studio wasn't competing. He thought I was amazing and asked me to work with him, and I have ever since then.

Julio is my partner, and my best friend. He's three years younger then me, being 22. He starts dancing with me when he was 18. Worant thought we should hold auditions for a partner, due to the fact that my old one, James, quit. Julio's family wasn't too happy with him dropping out of high school and presuming a dancing career, until they saw the money he was making.

My parents always supported my dancing, even when my grades weren't too hot senior year due to two hour practice everyday 6 days a week. I graduated and went to dancing full time, which pays a lot in award money, which that money goes to dancing. My only problem is that I'm still single. I would love nothing more then to have a family, but there is no way I'm going to stop dancing now.

Worant smiled, "Better. You're done for today. I'll see you here same town tomorrow."

He got up off his chair and walked out of the studio. Julio ran up to me and slung his arm around my neck. "Amazing. We're on fire. If we lose this why I just might call a recount."

The weird thing about Julio was that he had no Mexican accent, like at all. I know he's lived in America since he was seven, but still.

I smiled, "You're not going to call a recount."

He shrugged and picked up his water bottle.

"Plans for tonight?" I asked.

"I'm taking Marcia out to a very nice dinner with the very big check we got for winning nationals last month."

Oh yeah, Nationals. After nationals is worlds, and lucky for us, it's in New York. Julio and I won for duet and he won for solo. Duets aren't allowed to compete against each other in competitions, so they switch off.

"Sounds fancy," I said. My check was sitting on my desk in my apartment. I was probably just going to put it towards my everyday needs, food, rent and such.

"I'm so excited. I hope she'll like it. She's had this very nice dress sitting her closet waiting to be worn."

Marcia is Julio's girlfriend. They've been dating since they were seventeen. Meet in school and just fell in love. She is one of the sweetest people I have ever meet. We've gotten quiet close over the time I've known Julio. I do feel bad for him, because his friends make fun of him sticking with own girl. They're all off having one night stands and stuff and Julio just hates being left out.

He nodded his head and grabbed his dance bag. "Ready to go?"

I nodded and grabbed my stuff. "So what Time is this dinner tonight?"

"6:30. Why?"

"Wanna go grab something real quick. I don't have anything better to do."

"Nice to know that I'm you're solution to having 'nothing else to do'," Julio laughed.

I punched him on the arm and laughed too.

"What do you wanna get? I'll go with but I'm not eating," he said.

"I'll just pick up a pizza from down the street," I said. We were at my car, and I was trying to unlock. My hands were filled with a bag, water, my jacket, and a pair of tap shoes.

Julio came over and helped me open the door. We both got in and I started the engine. I drove Julio to and from dance most of the time. Julio had a car, but it was easier to have me pick him up and drive him home. He didn't live that far from me either, just a few miles.

We both lived in apartments. The one bad thing about that is the neighbors get mad when you practice you're tap dance for nationals at two in the morning.

They just don't understand.

There's also the fact that people do recognize who I am and there could be cameras and such. It depends where I am though. At home, there's not a lot of it, but around the area where my studio is, there sometimes might be small crowds of people waiting.

"What kind of pizza are you getting?" Julio distracted me from my thoughts.

"Cheese, duh. What other pizza would I get?" I said, jokingly.

Julio smiled. "Just checking."

I got to the pizza place and ran in and paid. We had so in the car ride back to our places. I dropped Julio off and wished him luck on his date. I arrived home not long after.

I didn't even bother changing. I put the pizza in the refrigerator and threw myself on the couch.

I have to get up at 5:30 every morning and go to dance, and then I don't get home until 4. It's not that I'm dancing all day, I just go out for lunch and hang out with Julio afterwards. Dance usually starts at 7 and ends at 2.

The weird thing is that I stay up late every night. I dorm know why but I never get tired until about midnight. I do take naps in the afternoons, every afternoon to be exact. I think that's why I'm always up so late.

I threw myself onto the couch and turned on the television. I didn't even see what was on before passing out.