The Girl

Waking up, I sighed. I was so tired of waking up and wasting air. Air that could be used on others who deserve it. My mind was clustered. Focusing on one problem in my life was often hard. As my cold brittle feet made contact with the floor, I stood up. Today was going to be hell and I knew it. No one really noticed me, I just existed.
"Kale, hurry up!" my mom shouted down the hall.
I rolled my eyes. She always rushed me in the the most inconvent moments, I hated her for that. I scooted over to my dresser, I felt lifeless. Pulling out a red t-shirt, I pulled it over my torso. Practically, running I scurried out the front door. The cold air brushed against my face as I spotted my mother in her rusty mini van.
* * * *
The wind pierced my face as I exited my mom's van. The door slammed and I jumped. Attempting to move the red hair from my face, I struggled. The parking lot of the Mixton Mall was full. My heart started to race and my throat began to swell.
"I can't do this, Mom!"
She gripped tightly onto my forearm.
'You can. I am here."
My mother's face was very reassuring. Her beautiful brown hair and her huge smile. I always wanted to be like her, to be happy. Every time I'd look at her, I would start to imagine my life if I was like her. My mind shifted back to the present moment. Every step I took toward the entrance made the lump in my throat grow.
My mom must have felt my anxiety because she tightened her grip. Her soft fingers dug into my arm. I whinsed. The motion sensored doors slide open with a creak. My limbs went heavy as I saw all the people in the building, it was chaotic.
Everyone looked so happy. People were laughing, smiling, and having a great time. Not me, I stood there in panic. I wanted to be non-existent. Looking around, I wondered if I was the only one who felt this way.
"I am going to Von Maur. Here's my credit card. Get anything and have some fun." my mom said with glee.
"No." I mumbled as my mom trotted again.
I gripped the card with all my might. It scraped against my palm. The cut it left was frightening. Then, it hit me, alone. I was alone. I started to hyperventilate. The card got all sweaty do to my grip to it. I could not breathe. My head went fuzzy. I felt like I was in a dream. Falling to my knees, I heard the faint voices around me.
"He's on the ground!"
"Is he breathing?"
"Get away from him! Give him some room!"
That voice sounded familiar. It wasn't my mom, but it was a girl. Her voice was smoother than my moms. She had a softer tone. When I heard her voice, it made me feel safe. It felt like home. My body got lifted and I returned to reality. Barely opening my eyes, I see her. Craddling me in her arms, she said with a whisper,
"You're safe now."
My chest begin to feel better. It was like the world left my shoulders. I could breath finally. I looked at her. She was beautiful. I couldn't leave her side.
"What's your name, love?", she said.
"K-Kale."
"Nice to meet you, K-Kale." she said with a giggle.
I looked awkwardly at how she was holding me. Standing up, I grabbed her hand and blushed as I helped her up.
"I'm Quinn." I heard her mumble.
Nodding, I held tightly onto her hand. I could not let go of someone this perfect. Her smile was detonating. Little did she know, I was a bomb just waiting to explode.
"I am here if you need to, love." she said.
I did not know why she kept calling me love. Did she love me? Was it just a name?
"My name is Kale." I repeated.
She smirked, "I know, love."
The redness on my face was obvious. Quinn put her soft hand on my face and rubbed my cheek. My smile was finally genuine.
"My number is 555-0943'' she said as she removed her hand and waltzed away.
* * * *
When I saw her in that red dress, my heart stopped. I never thought that I would be with someone this beautiful. Her long blonde hair was curled into golden rolls. The way her dress laid on her body was breathtaking. Quinn would be the one for me and I knew it. I was in love with her and I wanted to tell her.
Pulling the chair out for Quinn, she sat and smiled. Her smile is so beautiful. I sat down and grabbed her hand over the table. She looked down at my hand and smiled. This was the moment my life would finally change.
"Quinn, you're so beautiful. Everything about you is so amazing. I still do not know why you helped me that day in the mall, but I am so glad that you did. You saved me not only physically, but mentally. I was a mess before I met you. I never wanted to wake up, but now I can't wait to wake up and see your stunning face. I love you."
My heart dropped as I said the last words.
"I love you too. I am happy you are still alive."
My breath went slow and I began to lean in for a kiss. Her breath was against my lips. It was amazing. Right before our lips inclined, I woke up.