Chapter 27: Getaway

Jimmy determined that his easiest route to the bathroom from where they were seated was to go toward the end nearest the counter. From there he walked across the room looking at the logging gear hung on the rafters and wall, then noticed a man in an ugly jacket, sweat pants, and sandals sitting at the counter. A man dressed not at all like his father but looking remarkably like him. Way too much like his father. He froze in his tracks, then turned around to catch his mother’s eye. She gazed absently across the room in his direction without recognition. He leaned toward her, opened his eyes wide and motioned with his thumb across his chest toward his father. She still didn’t acknowledge him, so he raised his left arm--the one away from the counter, and waved to her while motioning again with his thumb. She saw the motion, squinted then smiled at him, and leaned forward for a better look. She shook her head, not understanding, looked over at the counter again, squinting hard, then back at Jimmy, and shrugged. Jimmy put his arms out, palms raised along his shoulders and opened his eyes wide, in an expression of incredulity. He walked six paces back toward her and gestured again toward the counter, finally walking back and pointing directly at his father hunched over his food. She looked, shrugged again, then stood up to look. Not seeing any better, she started around the table toward Jimmy and the counter.

“What the hell you pointin’ at, son? I can’t see way over there without my glasses!” Her voice carried with its usual authority and Stuart turned, looking surprised, from the counter.

At the same time across the room, Chris looked up and said, “Holy, shit, Art--excuse my French.” She stood and pointed. “Right there--that’s Jimmy’s mom!” Loomis turned to look, standing quickly and knocking his chair to the floor. Stuart turned at the sound of the chair, sliding from his stool and standing. Chris pointed to him. “And now I know where I've seen that guy--that is Jimmy’s dad. I don’t believe it! What should we do?”

Donna now recognized Stuart at the counter and said, holding out her hands to halt him, “Just keep your distance, Stu. I thought you were in Florida with your lovebird.”

Jimmy turned back toward his dad and saw Ms. Dormer, the secretary from school who did the attendance, gesturing at his father. He recognized the guy standing across from her but couldn't place where. But he said, turning his head slightly toward Donna while keeping his eyes alternately on his father and the pair across the room, “Mom--we need to get out of here. There’s people from school here, too.”

“This way,” Donna said, and she pushed Jimmy toward the end of the room opposite the counter, and followed quickly behind him.

“Wait a minute, you no good...souse!” called out Stuart,  avoiding stronger language with his son present. “You don’t ruin my life and then just waltz out with my kid. Jimmy--you get over here!” He started off after them, and Loomis quickly end-ran the table and nearly tackled Stuart.

“What the hell are you doing, you idiot!?" shouted the surprised Stuart. "That's my wife and son and she shouldn't have him. I've got custody!” He struggled to get loose from Loomis’s grasp.

Chris meanwhile had headed the other way around her long table in an effort to head off Jimmy and Donna before they reached the opening to the front counter and exit.

“You don’t have custody, you bastard!” Donna responded.

“Yeah--and you left me alone at home and lied about where you were going. And she’s not your wife anymore!” Jimmy called out spiritedly.

Donna turned and looked at her son with surprise. “Why, thanks, son--you tell him.” She turned and saw Chris approaching the end of the table to cut them off. “Uh, you in trouble at school or something?”