"Why do you think we're talking? See, I took a seat on the Council not because I wanted to but because Nick asked me to, because we were both realists. We knew that despite all the diplomacy and the handshaking and the rhetoric, that to build a really better world sometimes means having to tear the old one down. And that makes enemies." Pierce paused, trying to make a point.

"Those people that call you dirty because you got the guts to stick your hands in the mud and try to build something better. And the idea that those people could be happy today, makes me really, really angry. You were the last ones to see Nick alive. I don't think that's an accident, and I don't think you do either. So I'm gonna ask again, why was he there?"

"He told us not to trust anyone." Steve replied coldly as he stood up to take a stance behind his best friend, ready to back him up and protect him if necessary.

"I wonder if that included him." Pierce answered, almost in a sarcastic manner.

"I'm sorry. Those were his last words. Excuse us." Steve apologized before he reached around Bucky and picked up his shield that he had set on the floor when they first walked in. As Steve attached the shield to his back, Bucky had already started for the door. Steve followed a few paces behind him.

"Somebody murdered my friend and I'm gonna find out why. Anyone gets in my way, they're gonna regret it. Anyone." Pierce warned the two before they stepped out of his office.

"Understood." they mumbled in unison before they walked out of the room, shutting the door behind them. Silently, they walked towards the elevator. When it arrived, the two stepped in and stood in the middle while Steve asked aloud for the elevator to take them to operations control.

"Understood." the automated voiced replied before the doors began to shut. Just before they could, a hand slid through to stop them from closing. Rumlow, along with two other agents, stepped through the door.

"All STRIKE personnel on site." Rumlow ordered. The two agents with him muttered an agreement before Rumlow acknowledge Steve and Bucky. 

"Sergeant, Cap." Rumlow dipped his head towards the two.

"Rumlow." Bucky answered. 

"Evidence response found some fibers on the roof they want us to see. You want me to get the tac-team ready?" Rumlow asked Steve.

"No, let's wait and see what it is first." Steve replied, his attention focused on the door in front of him.

"Right." Rumlow muttered. The elevator was then cloaked in silence. Bucky glanced around and noticed one of the other agents tried to casually place his hand against his weapon, but Bucky didn't think it was that casual. Just then, the elevator stopped to let more agents in.

Some of the agents were already engaged in conversation with each other so they didn't acknowledge anyone else in the elevator. Steve and Bucky shuffled around and moved more towards the middle of the elevator to create enough space for the growing number of people in the cramped space.

"Um...sorry about what happened with Fury. Messed up what happened to him." Rumlow turned towards the two to apologize.

"Thank you." was all he got in response from the pair. Once again, the elevator stopped to let more agents in. As Steve glanced around, he noticed one of the agents had started sweating. He didn't think it was too hot in the elevator, so he nudged Bucky and slightly nodded his head towards who he had noticed.

Bucky grew weary of the surrounding agents and lightly placed his hand on the gun sitting on his hip, ready to use if the need arose. As the doors closed once again, the two take in their surroundings. They were surrounded by agents, hostile agents.