18

"You promise you're okay to go on this mission with us? Don't you remember what happened last time?" Bucky asked me nervously as I continued to pack for our next mission. We were to go intercept a train running through the Swiss Alps and arrest Doctor Arnim Zola. It's been a couple of months since our last mission, so now it was the dead of winter in 1944. I slipped on a jacket as Bucky picked up my bag for me.

"I don't want you to get hurt." Bucky whispered, his eyes not meeting mine. 

"Hey, look at me." I demand softly, placing my hand under his chin. I gently push his head up so he's looking at me. 

"I'll be fine, okay? You don't need to worry about me, because if you do, then you'll get hurt and I'll feel guilty." 

Bucky gives me a soft smile before he bends down and connects our lips. 

"God, I am so in love with you." he whispers when I pull away. 

"And I with you. C'mon, let's go before they leave us." I laugh softly before I intertwine our hands and lead him out of my tent into the swirling snow. 

"How come you two are always the last ones to get here?" Steve jokes as he helps me up into the back of the truck.

"I always take forever to pack, you know this Stevie." I reply, taking a seat next to Jim. I help Bucky into the truck and lean into his side as he takes a seat next to me. Steve was the last one to get in. He sat down next to Gabe across from Bucky and I. 

"Alright, let's go." Steve called up to Dum Dum, who was driving the truck.

Steve, Bucky, Gabe and I were the ones who would go onto the train to find Zola. The rest of the Howling Commandos would stay back and make sure no one else got on the train. It took us all morning and half of the afternoon to reach the site where we would infiltrate the train as it passed. Carefully, Dum Dum and Gabe set up the zip line and the handles. 

While they did that, Jim worked on the communication pieces so the ones left on the cliff would know when we got Zola. When everything was ready, Steve, Bucky, and I stood on the edge of the cliff and watched the tracks. 

"Remember when I made you ride the Cyclone at Coney Island?" Bucky asked Steve out of nowhere.

"Yeah, and I threw up?" Steve replied. 

"This isn't payback, is it?" Bucky asked, a smirk on his face. 

"Now why would I do that?" Steve grinned. 

"You two are so childish." I laughed as I rolled my eyes. 

"Whatever you say doll." Bucky smiled as he pressed a kiss to my temple. 

"Train's coming up." Jim announced.

"Alright, hold on tight. The trip down won't last long." Steve told us has he stepped forward and grabbed onto his handle bar. Bucky stood behind him, I stood behind Bucky, and Gabe stood behind me. 

"We only got about a ten second window. You miss that window, we're bugs on a windshield." Steve gave a final preparation speech. 

"Mind the gap." Monty chuckled before he winked at me.

I rolled my eyes as Dum Dum chucked and added on, "Better get movin' bugs." 

Steve waited a second after that before he stepped off the cliff and down towards the train. Bucky dropped about three seconds after that, followed by myself another three seconds later, and finally Gabe three seconds after me. 

When we were over the train, we let go of our handles and fell onto the train. Since it had just stopped snowing, the top of the train was still wet and slippery. When I landed, my feet slipped out from under me, causing me to fall backwards into Gabe. I let out a surprised yelp, attracting the attention of my older brother and boyfriend. I closed my eyes, expecting to fall off the train, but Gabe grabbed me by my waist and held on tight.