Chapter 15. Darkness

Wished dead? Uchiha Madara? Only one who survived? I felt my mind become foggier by the second and it was wearing me down. I had to be certain that I would not leave alone.

"You are coming with me right, Uncle?"

"No. I am staying here."

I wanted to scream at him. Beat him senseless and drag him out of the village with me. This was not the time to be unreasonable.

No. No way in hell am I letting you die on my watch.

I managed to sit up and breathed slowly. "I'll drag you with me, Uncle. I won't let you die."

"I am grateful that you want to use force, but I am afraid that you and I don't have a choice, Misayo."

What did he mean by 'not having a choice'?

I heard footsteps in the hallway. They were firm and strong. I recognized them immediately.

"Fugaku? Kagami? Why?"

They did not answer me. They simply walked past me with measured steps. The two of them were in control of the situation. Kagami stopped in front of Uncle and knelt beside him. He remained still for a long time before he said.

"I hate you for making me do this, Masao."

"Forgive me, Kagami...we've been good friends. I'd rather it is done by you two."

I'd rather it is done by you two? Tears formed at the corners of my eyes. I clenched my fists.

"Uncle?" I did not mean to speak, but the words came out of me by instinct.

"Be sure that Misayo is out of the village by the time the others arrive." Uncle demanded.

Uncle's voice did not falter. His words were clear and articulate. He had practiced saying them. Kagami stood up and walked over to Fugaku.

"We promise." Kagami replied.

"You have my word, Masao."

"One more thing, my friends...It is my last demand." Uncle stated.

I heard the two Uchihas turn their heads towards Uncle. Their chakra so strong and prominent when they centered it to their eyes. Their sharingans are activated. The two Uchihas stood tall and rigid.

"Do not carry out the plan. It will not bring joy to anyone, only pain and sorrow." Uncle was bowing on the floor at their feet.

"I am afraid that you have no say in a matter which concerns our clan, the Uchiha clan, Masao. Do not meddle with us. I will not sway to your whim." The Police Chief's voice was harsh and cold. Filled with authority and power.

Uncle sighed deeply. "I see. So, you will carry out the plan no matter what I say."

None of the Uchihas replied. Their silence was their answer. They had made up their mind.

Uncle brushed my hair with his hand and kissed my forehead with trembling lips.

"Misayo, be brave and never walk away from the people you love." Uncle said.

"I will always be with you,"

Uncle took my hand in his and put it on my chest on top of my beating heart.

"in here."

Then he embraced me and whispered that he will always love me in the softest voice I had ever heard. I felt his tears on my temple. I clung onto him as long as I could and sobbed that I loved him too. He gave me one last peck on my forehead. He held my shoulders, stilled and moved away from me.

"Kagami." Uncle nodded once.

The Uchiha nodded once "Masao."

"Fugaku." Uncle nodded once.

The Police Chief nodded once. "Masao."

Silence filled the room. They were bidding farewell. I stepped forward. I reached my hand towards Uncle. Uncle lifted his hand towards me. We called for each other. Kagami held my shoulders and turned me away from Uncle and Fugaku, and covered my eyes and ears. His hands were sweaty. Despite his rigid and straight posture, his hands and knees were trembling.

I focused my chakra to my senses.

Time stood still.

I felt my heartbeats pulse throughout my whole body.

Once.

Twice.

The events that followed...happened so quickly.

"Fugaku, please be quick." Uncle said.

"Yes." Fugaku replied.

The Police Chief stepped forward. Withdrew a kunai knife from his pouch strapped to his thigh, and kneeled right in front of Uncle. Then he stopped his movements, and everybody was still. My heartbeats stopped. Kagami's heartbeats stopped. His grip on my eyes and ears stiffened.

Then I heard it.

The dexterity of a Jonin's hands. The placement of kunai against a throat. Uncle's slight, but sharp intake of breath. The Police Chief clenching his fists. The Police Chief gritting his teeth. The swift movement of kunai through flesh. The barely audible sound of a man's last pain. Then the final words of my Uncle which came out with a sigh.

"Mai."

There was a loud thud. The room was filled with the strong odor of newly spilt blood. Fugaku got up, performed a series of hand seals, inhaled deeply and blew out heat from his mouth. Kagami let go of my head. He mimicked the action. The room was filled with flames. It crackled throughout the whole building. I heard the sizzle of wood, the odor of smoke filled the room and I could taste the ash and smoke. Then one of them grabbed me, held me close to his chest, ran out of our house and leaped into the woods.

Everything had happened so fast, yet I felt as if everything had been recorded in small segments and was repeating in my mind. The kunai. The hand movement. The cut. The sigh of relief. The thud. The scent of blood. They all kept repeating in my head.

My head felt as if it was to burst. I was unable to cry. I was unable to think. Unable to scream. Unable to shut my eyes. Unable to sense anything. In just a matter of a couple of seconds, my whole world had become empty.

Uncle is no more.

My home is no more.

My life is empty.

I have nothing.

Everything is consumed by darkness.